VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've had my 2000 Golf GLS, 2.0 litre automatic for just over a year now. Recently (under the effects of the "polar vortex") my alternator died so a friend and I installed a new one. Removal and installation went really smoothly, car runs well aside from three things.
First thing is the idle speed has fallen, down to 500 rpm at first. I've driven it about 30Km and it idles closer to 700 rpm now. The main problem is that my passenger's head and tail lights are both out. The fuses look fine, the bulbs look good. My battery was dead for about a day before the alternator was changed, I'm not sure if this headlight issue would be caused by that or if I knocked a wire around when working on changing the alternator. Also my car doesn't respond to the switchblade key, I've heard you're supposed to go to the dealership and have them reset.

There seem to be a lot of people well-versed in VW here, any ideas would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
not sure on the head and taillight issue but the rpm thing is going to be lower because the alternator is putting out more so the car doesn't have to rev up to keep the alternator outputting more to keep up with the car, if that makes sense

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. It was idling so low this morning that it stalled, but it was really cold out, hasn't done it since. I have to take it in to the shop tomorrow for other work and I'm going to see if they can determine what's wrong with my headlight and tail light. I'll let you guys know what the issue is as soon as I find out!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Parietal
VW Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to entirely to all Volkswagen models including the Golf, Jetta, and Passat! Come join the discussion about TDI, Turbos, reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing