VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, name's Bobby. I live in northeastern NC and work on airplanes for a living. I own a 2002 jetta 1.8t that I have a rather intense love/hate relationship with. I bought it used a few years ago and while i love driving it, it has a bad habit of catastrophically breaking down every year or so.

Since I'm cheap and since I have a cousin who fancies himself a car expert (a highly suspect claim), we have done all the work on the car ourselves. I've replaced the clutch then six months later, the CV axles and then about a year later we pulled the oilpan off and found a little pile of jagged thrust bearing shrapnel. As I said, I'm an aircraft mechanic/electrician/avionics tech and I knew next to nothing about cars.

My cousin assured me that the engine was trashed. I didn't really have the money for another car, and I really do love this damned jetta so we decided I was going to shell out the money for a used engine.

It took us far longer to replace the engine than it probably should have, since we were working on it mostly on the weekends when we were off work. But in the end we seem to have done a fairly decent job of it. We actually pulled some of the info for replacing the clutch off this website IIRC.

Now I am getting the apparently all-too-common P03XX codes and the engine is running rough as hell. I purchased a subscription to ALLDATAdiy.com and I found a technical bulletin stating that if the customer is getting these engine codes then the ECM needs to be replaced.

Not too happy about having to shell out 600 dollars for a computer that can't even run TF2 and after checking this forum, apparently this is a really common problem and may be unrelated to the new(er) engine. So I am really hoping I can maybe find some useful info here.

Oh yeah, somehow after I moved, I misplaced the paperwork on the new engine and the only thing I know for sure is that it is an AWP engine. It's a common problem I know, but I think my engine replacement may be complicating the issue.

Holy crap this turned out to be long. I know this is just an introduction thread, but this is why I'm here. Not really sure if I should make a new thread in the Mk4 forums or what.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome to VWF....So far no problems with my 02 Jetta, with a 2.0....147K on her...Maybe someone will chime in and help you out...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot. I'm kinda eager to post this on the MK4 forum because I know it's probably more appropriate there. Is there a specific amount of time I need to wait before posting there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts