VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put out a thread a few days ago about my oil pressure light coming on at certain rpms and got no reply, but it is a tough one. So, I installed a 'T' and now I have an oil pressure gauge as well as the idiot light. So, here's what the readings are (as the light blinks away):

At idol (startup) the gauge reads 55, 35 (running temp)
At 2K (driving cold/warm) the gauge goes well above 75
At 2.5K (driving) the gauge goes into the 80's

So, what do the experts think??

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Did you check the oil pressure switch? If there is a tiny leak or defect in the oil pressure switch the light will go off. The part isn't more than 10 bucks and an easy swap. Its worth replacing to see if that's what it is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check the oil pressure switch? If there is a tiny leak or defect in the oil pressure switch the light will go off. The part isn't more than 10 bucks and an easy swap. Its worth replacing to see if that's what it is.
I first noticed an oil leak at the original switch and went to Autozone (simple part) and got a replacement; it's a Bosch I think. Maybe this switch is not made well or has an issue. I was wondering if the oil pressure was good....guess the switch is reading 'high' oil pressure or its calibration is off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was running 20W50 in the car but I just replaced it with 10W40 and the idol is about 15 psi, below 2k is 25psi, 2.6k is around 33psi, 3.2k is around 37psi. This OK? Within spec?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not sure but you could have gotten a bunk oil pressure switch - I've bought a brand new one that was bad before. If you bring it back with a receipt they should replace it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I thought the same thing; got a VW replacement and will install tomorrow. Looks like the oil pressure is constant. Cold: idol 60psi, 2.4k driving 40-50 psi, when warm: idol 16-20 psi, 2.4k driving 25-36psi. I can't find any clear info on the recommended oil pressure on line so far, I called VW and they said "seems OK, but I'm not personally familiar with something that old." "What?" I said. He stated he would research and call me back. Yeah right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts