VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I brought my brand new 2003 VR6 into the dealer a few weeks ago because the engine makes a funny whining noise when the car has sat for while in the cold (say, below 40 degrees). The pitch of the noise is directly related to engine RPM, but goes away after twenty to twenty-five minutes of driving. It doesn't seem to affect the car, but it sure is annoying. The best way I can describe the noise is to liken it to the feedback you can sometimes hear in a poorly installed stereo, or one with low quality speakers. If you have ever screwed up putting a new stereo in your car, you know what I mean.

The dealership told me that VW had issued a TSB for the problem, but then claimed that it was "normal behavior" for the 2003 VR6's. Because that makes absolutely no sense (why issue a TSB for something that is normal?), the guys at the dealership assured me that what it really means is that VW is working on the problem, but doesn't have an answer yet. They (the dealership, that is) said to call back every month for status.

Has anybody else out there experienced this? Is my dealership feeding me a line to make me go away? Is there a way to confirm the TSB somehow, or better yet get status of it independently from the dealership?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
OK, Whats TSB?? Does it sound like a belt is loose?? Because i know when i had my Jeep, i would get a whine for while and it turned out to be the belt had to be replaced. Don't know if i'm making any sense or not.
jon

·
Registered
167 Posts
my 02' GTI VR6 makes the same noise under the same cirucumstances. To me it sounds like the transmission whinning away. I wouldn't realy say high pitched, it kind of sounds like a low reveving supercharger whine but muted. Usually after i drive for 5 minutes the sound is gone. I could probably record it but my POS is at VW waiting for parts. GRRRRRRR

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GTI2001 ,
A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin, and is issued by a manufacturer as a means of acknowledging a problem with a vehicle, and of documenting the solution. It is not as drastic as a recall, but is generally something to get fixed next time you are at the dealer.

Sleepyhead,
It seems to me that the whine is “high-pitch,” but it’s a little hard to say, since that’s pretty subjective. I agree that it could probably be recorded (if I ad anything to record with), but I guess that doesn’t really tell you much about the pitch, does it? It is definitely not as high as that barely audible whine you get out of a computer monitor that is on its last legs. This is a noise that can be “comfortably” heard – its just really annoying. Gee, am I helping here at all?? <grin>

Dan

·
Registered
37 Posts
is it a squeal like a loose belt? - that kind of whine?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think I've heard the same noise in my car at times. It doesn't seem to effect drivability or anything, but it's definitely there sometimes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
it could be the power steering pump, i noticed on my 1.8t that when its really cold and i turned the wheel, the power steering pump whines, try turning your steering wheel and see if the noise changes, could need more fluid, or just a break in period, mine doesnt do it too much anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts