VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum.
I don't own a VW but my wife does, she has a 95 Golf CL. I'm under the impression that her car is a real lemon. Just about everything is broken, the heating mechanism (fixed that), the whole instrument cluster including tach, odometer, speedometer. Recently she was complaining about the temp indicator flashing all the time, I kept filling it with antifreeze then recently the oil too. The oil level was good but to my surprise I noticed the dreaded "milkshake" on the cap. $$$hit!!, the head gasket!. I can't believe the head gasket would go on a car that's only 8 years old and has never been abused and only woman driven!.
I personally ride a 5.0L Mustang and do some mechanics on the Ford but I'm no pro at these VW's.
My question is, Is this common for a VW to have a head gasket leak at only 8 years old and 170k. Also the setup on her VW seems quite simple, is this a simple job ?
I've owned many American crap boxes with elements breaking here and there but never a h/g so early ?

http://www.finalgathering.com/car/auto1.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
vws can be complex in their own way, but sounds like your pretty familiar with it generally, so i couldnt see you having a problem. Try it out, explore a little! goodluck!

Zak

·
Registered
526 Posts
170 thousand miles is alot and id say its typical for a head gasket that has problky never been changed to go..defintely time for a rebuild if YOU personally can do it..if not just get a new head gasket...can be done by anyone with some mech knowledge...and just make sure you keep that engine in good shape and she'll run forever

1 - 4 of 4 Posts