VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a little confused about hood extensions...they look real ill and i want one for my GTI, but is it an actual extension of the hood where it is welded on? or is it part of the grill? if you were to weld it on the hood would u need a new grill as well? thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
im not sure if its welded but if you want it to be seamless. you would get it welded and i guess bond-oed to be smooth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well here's what I did to my Cabriolet. I got a fiberglass grille spoiler... but instead of bolting it down to the top of the grille... I had it rivetted up onto the flat portion at the very end of the hood... then I had the body shop mold the seam shut. The only thing is, most Mk3's just use eyelids rather than a spoiler that covers the whole top of the grille... so you'd have to find a grille spoiler for the car. Also.. then you have to figure out whether or not you want to use hood pins or devise another method of opening the hood... cuz with the extension, you definitely won't be able to reach the hood latch.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i've seen two types of hood extensions on the market...

the fiberglass ones that just attach to the front of the hood and look kinda crappy

or...

the metal extension that gets welded and blended onto the hood. these look great on any a3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts