VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear with me please I'm new to this. My son's 2002 Jetta wagon 2.0L. The car has had some sort of small coolant leak for a while needing antifreeze added every so often and I'm guessing it has been getting worse he just didn't realize it but I don't know that for sure. My son left for Alaska a few weeks ago and my husband decided to use the car a few days ago (we don't like to let it sit for too long and his car was going to have some work done). When he got in he realized the floor on the passenger side was soaked. There was some fast food trash and a few other items on the floor all soaked and on closer inspection the carpet (black so hard to see) was also soaked. He described a puddle and although he has a way of exaggerating these things it certainly wasn't good. It has been pouring here for a couple of weeks, maybe longer so plenty of water to back u[p or accumulate from somewhere. Now I didn't see it until after he "bailed it out" and pulled out the carpet foot pad's but I didn't smell antifreeze and it didn't feel slimy or anything to me. But he did bring a sample of the liquid in while cleaning it out for me to smell and look at because he thought it might be antifreeze. Again it didn't have any scent or look of it to me, then again if it's mixed with enough water who knows. My husband also swears the rug is also wet on the backseat passenger floor and on the drivers side but when I touched it it didn't feel wet to me. There was a small spot of dampness but remember we have flooding everywhere so everything is wet and opening any car door or getting into a car makes the carpet damp.... Then while driving he noticed water (or something) coming in from the two plastic tube like things (vents?) that come in from under the dash along the middle hump (sort of) of the passenger side foot area. It is obviously steadily coming in there and when I reach in as far as I can the tubes are open and seem to feed into the lower dash area but I can't reach all that far...does anyone know what these are and where they go/come from?:confused:

Temp gauge is working and temp is fine. Air works however two days ago while driving on the hwy a white mist/cloud/smoke (nothing burning) started coming out of the vents. He pulled over and checked the engine and outside of car but nothing as he continued then he played with it and found the white cloud happens when the air is on and is worse when dash vents are on but much better when only defrost vents are used. He says he smells antifreeze. Air is still cold. :-?

On closer inspection with the hood up (and a break in the rain) engine and chassis dry, I can clearly see something dripping from just above the lowest part of the undercarriage of the car. I have a view of the leak when looking directly down from the side of the car by the coolant reservoir and it looks like it is just the passenger side of middle so could very well be in the vicinity of those inside vent/tubes but I'm not sure how that could really translate since I think it's coming from below an area that could feed to the inside of the car.:?:

I'm not even sure these three things are related though it seems like they could be. I know I went on quite a bit but I wanted to give as much info as I could so any of you kind enough to help might get a clearer picture or know what is going on. Any thought's or experience you can share would be greatly appreciated.Thanks :bow:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Coolant leak and fog from the vents sounds like a bad heater core

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry should have listed that..

You would think with all I did mention I would have included the fact it doesn't have a sunroof. Sorry, I did see all of those threads.

I also saw the heater core possibility and will look into that but would that cause all of the leaking in the interior? Where does all of that water come from if caused by this? Also are those tube/vent things on the upper left of passenger feet part of the heater core system or are you thinking more than one issue?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts