VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, on my 02 jetta with 1.8T...
My horn has been out for a while. No sound when pressing on steering wheel. So I took off the horns (front drivers side down low behind the bumper) and tested them directly to the battery. Nothing. Tested an old siren same way and I get sound from the siren. I'm thinking bad horns, right? I connected a volt meter to the horn connectors, and get nothing when pressing the steering wheel. I get a small voltage when pressing the lock key (also no sound when locking anymore). But I get no voltage when pressing the steering wheel.

Then I try testing for voltage with the alarm. I set the panic button and there is another horn going off on the car. I already took off the horns, or so I thought.

How many horns on this thing and do I need new ones for my steering wheel horn?

·
Registered
322 Posts
The alarm horn is different from the main steering wheel horn.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correction.. I am getting the sound when locking. It was not sounding earlier cuz the window was down. So I get the sound on lock, panic, alarm, but no horn and no voltage showing at the horn connector. Fuse is good. Horns will not sound when connected direct to battery.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So I took off the horns (front drivers side down low behind the bumper) and tested them directly to the battery. Nothing.
>Unlikely that both horns failed at the same time. Check resistance of each with an ohmmeter. Invisible grime on weathered connections can block electric current so sand them clean first with fine sandpaper.

I connected a volt meter to the horn connectors, and get nothing when pressing the steering wheel.
>Upstream problems, perhaps caused by a shorted horn. I'd check the horn relay next or the fuses.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I took off the horns (front drivers side down low behind the bumper) and tested them directly to the battery. Nothing.
>Unlikely that both horns failed at the same time. Check resistance of each with an ohmmeter. Invisible grime on weathered connections can block electric current so sand them clean first with fine sandpaper.

I connected a volt meter to the horn connectors, and get nothing when pressing the steering wheel.
>Upstream problems, perhaps caused by a shorted horn. I'd check the horn relay next or the fuses.
Thank you for the tips! Can you tell me where to. Find the horn relay?

They may not have failed at the same time. i may not have been hearing them both. Don't use my horn that much!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys

Finally got around to looking for the relay in my manual. I found the relay panel under the dash, but there is no guide for which relay belongs to the horn! I've looked everywhere. Can anyone tell me which relay is the horn relay?

Thanks,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts