VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, i am new to the VW game i just got my car last week, but i hear the APR chip is great for the 1.8T engine. So i have the money for it, but i don't understand how it is installed/programed. I heard that you have to mail your ECU out to get it done. I dont know a ton about cars and would appreciate any info (as specific as possible)as to how i go about getting the APR chip in MY car.
[email protected]

·
Registered
273 Posts
i have also looked into an apr, but do not have the money. as far as i could tell, you need to mail it in because taking it apart and putting it back together is not something you can do yourself.
also: you have the 2001 or '03 wolfsburg because i'm wondering the difference between them (i think it's just a spoiler, leather e-brake, and 30hp?)

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well the other chip you might want to look at is GIAC. I know there's a dealer right in Philly that installs it so you would have to send it off. i think it's AWE tuning. here's GIAC's website. www.giacusa.com they are about even with APR. between those two, i feel it comes down to who's closer. If your set on APR though, i know there's a dealer in baltimore which isn't to far away. here's apr's website www.goapr.com
HTH
jon

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the 2001 Wolfsburg, yea the new 1.8T's are nice the extra 30HP would be great. Do you know how much of the power from the chip will actually make it to the wheels? Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
There is an APR dealer in Lebanon called APTuning. There website is www.aptuning.com. Check them out, I have heard nothing but good things about them. Unless you are willing to drive to a authorized dealer, you will have to ship your ecu to them. You could also wait till one of the big shows (Waterfest, H20, etc.) and wait for them to go to a show. This is what I did last year. You can usually get a free extra program from them too at most shows. I got the 93 and stock programs last year. I will be having the 100 octane program added very soon also.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Do you know how much of the power from the chip will actually make it to the wheels? Anyone know?
Here is a block 120 dyno of my car. When this was done my car had a APR 93 chip, Hyperboost DV, Velocity CAI, and the ECS N75 race valve.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thats good news thanx man. Yea i heard there was a show like that run by APR coming to the Philadelphia area, how do they work, you can just go and get your chip installed/programmed on site?

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwolfsburg18t:
Well thats good news thanx man. Yea i heard there was a show like that run by APR coming to the Philadelphia area, how do they work, you can just go and get your chip installed/programmed on site?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, this was Volksfest actually 2 weeks ago. It was a pretty good time, except for the lousy weather...however APR was on site doing chips. APTuning is running the free program deal one more time before Waterfest at their annual open house. The good thing if you get chipped there is that you don't have to pay show fees or whatever to get in. Great guys and very knowledgable people who have done all of my work. Check out details on their promo here: http://www.aptuning.com/flyer.html

Good luck...definitely go APR!

[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: cyaneye ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Hmm. If i'm not doing anything that day i might treck up there and get my car done. The BCS just doesn't make up for what the chip does. I've been spoiled with APR in my GTI.
jon

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't wait until thennnnnnnnnn, I want APR now! I might head up this weekend and talk to everyone there, I am still under warranty so i have to wait another month either way I don't know why I am complaining

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwolfsburg18t:
I can't wait until thennnnnnnnnn, I want APR now! I might head up this weekend and talk to everyone there, I am still under warranty so i have to wait another month either way I don't know why I am complaining<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear ya bro...there was nothing like my first day chipped. If you can wait, it is well worth it. It could save you about $180 bucks all together.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you mean it could save me $180?? On what? My other question: Do you really have to pay $500 for the APR chip or is that just the price they throw at you when you call to see if you are dumb enough to get it at that price?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well if you want the performance that it gives you $500 if the only price you'll find for that chip. That's with just once program. The way you would save $180 if you get a second program for free and there is no install charge.
jon

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
Well if you want the performance that it gives you $500 if the only price you'll find for that chip. That's with just once program. The way you would save $180 if you get a second program for free and there is no install charge.
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct

The ECU upgrade itself is $499 which includes one program. Usually people opt for the 93 octane program to get the most out of the chip. However, there are 3 more slots that you may purchase additional programs as well i. e. stock program (great for when your car goes back to the dealer for service making the chip undetectable), 100 octane race (great for the track), and valet mode (adds a rev limitor so those damn valets don't "test" your turbo) to name a few. See more details here http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/ecu_upgrade_golf18t.html

Typically you have to pay $149 for each one of those additional programs to be added to your ECU.

Thus, if you get the chip at the APTuning open house, you will get that additional program for free.($149 savings)

Now throw in the installation charge of $30 which they don't charge at the open house = $179 total savings.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i met ron from awe, they are real cool there. and they are reputable so if you do wanan do that. i say go for it.
rich

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
So what is the turn key price you guys have been paying.

I got some mad money for my graduation and Im thinking of goin for it...

I want a chip, and the two programs(93/stock)

Also, has anyone bought the home computer adaptor? That way you can download all the updates yourself.

Also, do they change the programming based on what else you have on your car, like exhaust, intake, etc?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts