VW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much horsepower can you get from a stock turbo in a 1.8t. I heard 220 but that seems really low. What do u guys think?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EastCoastDubz420:
How much horsepower can you get from a stock turbo in a 1.8t. I heard 220 but that seems really low. What do u guys think?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

whp or hp?

maybe 220whp is the max with the stock turbo but I'm not a 1.8t expert but lucky for you there are some here!!!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I think about 240 at the crank, maybe 220 at the wheels. I know that is low, but that is why there are bigger turbos...

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
with all his bolt on's big dong manages around 200 whp on his 1.8t jetta with stock turbo. but u should just get a bigger turbo instead of buying all those bolt on's.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
With a K04 you could, but that would be supid. Save the money for a custom kit, or a companies kit, apr, atp, evoms, ect.

Edit: If you were to do a K04 You would need a turbo inlet pipe since the inlet on the 04 is 5mm bigger then the k03

[ January 10, 2004: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Check out ATP.

ATP Link

They have some decent prices on turbo kits that make moderate power and have a pretty good reputation, although definitely do your research before spending that kind of cash.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so everybody thinks 220 is the max hp? What if i had a chip,intake,excaust,new intake manifold (abd) Nj75 valvue. How much could i get? Is the stock turbo keeping me from going above 220 hp?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EastCoastDubz420:
...Is the stock turbo keeping me from going above 220 hp?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Billy T. 410hp at the wheels, stock 1.8t bottom end. Upgraded everything else.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
does he have a different turbo Aaron?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL no way in hell you can push 400+hp out of a ko3. It turns into a hair dryer after 5500rpm. Yes it is an upgraded turbo. t3/t04 i think.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I guess it is possible to get somewhere close to or slightly over 300whp on the K03 if your spraying. A nice 75 shot w/ a bigger fuel pump would probably get you there pretty easily if you have a 1.8T with all the colt on parts that are common. The K03 shines when it comes to tq numbers though.

If you really want the ability to go above 200whp, I would just start with an upgraded kit. Talk to ATP, you could start with their stage II kit, and continue to upgrade from there. You could get the Stage II kit w/ a different turbo (50 trim t3/t4) and 440cc injectors, and run it on the stage II software for a while until you have more money to buy parts like a FMIC, fuel pump, etc. It would run fine like that. To begin with, you would have around 220hp, but you could easily tune it to well over 300 once you have a chance to buy other supportive mods and get it tuned on a dyno.

[ January 12, 2004: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Billy T was using a T3/T4 - it was a 57 trim T04E compressor in a 50 trim housing and
I beleive a stage 3 .63 turbine. He handled fueling with a Greddy Rebic 4, and boost pressure just short of the factory fuel cut using a Profec B.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
and boost pressure just short of the factory fuel cut using a Profec B.[/QB]

He used multiple bleeder valves to override and fool the ECU into thinking it was below the fuelcut/limp mode. This was before people figured out to clamp the MAP signal to the ecu to accomplish the same thing. He was running much higher than factory fuel cut boost pressures to get those numbers. He also had the intake manifold drilled and tapped for secondary injectors, that is why he needed the Rebic.

[ January 13, 2004: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts