VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to install a turbo setup on my 24v VR6 when spring finally comes around, and my buddy with his own VR6 wants to do the same after seeing the parts every day in my garage.

I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea for him because his VR6 is older and he's sitting on about 120k miles.... and I've only ever installed a turbo setup around 50k-60k miles so I'm not too sure if a turbo is a wise move with so much mileage. (I'm thinking the motor is gonna go *poof* if he pushes too much boost OR the maintenance might get insane.) Up until this point he's the 2nd owner and takes care of his dub really well.

I doubt a 6psi limit on the boost would hurt anything with 120k miles on the clock.... higher boost might cause some stress obviously. Does anyone know personally of anyone that has a turbo install on mileage like that? What's their boost at for daily driving?

Any opinions? Insights? Actual experiences?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
id say get the internals upgraded (both of u) b4 u blow ur motor i kno its safe to boost ur vr but im just saying if ur goin to boost it y not do it right and lower the comp ratio.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
id say get the internals upgraded (both of u) b4 u blow ur motor i kno its safe to boost ur vr but im just saying if ur goin to boost it y not do it right and lower the comp ratio.
I'm definitely not an expert so plz correct me if I'm in error - are you just saying grab a lower comp head spacer, or by internals are u saying new rod bolts, forged pistons, boring the block etc? I thought the stock VR motor was strong enough to go stg 2 without doing major upgrades to the internals and running moderate (6-10 psi) boost. I probably wouldn't be comfortable going past 10 psi without a new intake mani anyways.

Personally I grabbed the kinetic head spacer for my 24v and I thought that would be enough - we both don't want 400 hp+, my goals are around 300 ish and so are my buddy's.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
sorry i havent gotten back to u ive been busy on the 1.8

i ment replacing the internals such as the pistons rings rods rod bolts new bearings gaskets etc.

pretty much a rebuild but with upgraded parts to make the compression ratio between 9:1 and 8:1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts