VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking to get my 1.8 jetta tuned im wondering how much power it can handle with stock internals?

·
Registered
210 Posts
If your 1.8T is a '99 through '01 it is VW rated at 150hp. If it is a '02 through '04 & 1/2' it is rated at 180hp. This is VW rated hp not brake hp.

Are you really sure that you want / need more "oomph"?

If you do and you are willing to spend the major money $ I know people that have built their "T" up to 275hp + with no apparent problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iam planning on getting a turbo back fmic and tning it it on a dyno at a nearby tuning shop that speacializes i turbos

·
Registered
210 Posts
No. Brake hp is defined as hp at the drive wheels.

I feel fairly certain that all will agree that hp and more importantly torque is always measured at the drive wheels on a dyno.

I do not know what you mean by "getting a turbo back fmic" and don't understand what you mean by "tning" [trying] it on a dyno.

You will not know for sure how any modification to your 1.8T under consideration affects the hp and torque range until you actually install the modification on your vehicle and have the vehicle tested on a dyno.

I have to ask this question:

Why do you want to increase your Jetta's hp / torque? Are you planning to race it? At even highway speeds your stock Jetta should have more than sufficient hp / torque to just about go faster than anybody else and certainly faster than is safe for you and others.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a 2004 1.8t the brake hp is about 155 and 180 to the crank. FMIC is front mounted intercooler and turbo back exhaust is a 3" exhuast pipe from the turbo and back to the tail pipe. I just want to get my jetta as powerful as i can get it without changing out the internals?

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have a 2004 1.8t the brake hp is about 155 and 180 to the crank. FMIC is front mounted intercooler and turbo back exhaust is a 3" exhuast pipe from the turbo and back to the tail pipe. I just want to get my jetta as powerful as i can get it without changing out the internals?
I believe stock internals can handle up to 340 at the crank.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am not sure that you can achieve 340hp without using nitrous. Additionally, I feel fairly confident that if you do you will significantly shorten the life of your Jetta; and perhaps yourself and others.

Whatever you do is your business but... just please respect yourself, others and your Jetta.

Good luck.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Do not get a 3 in TBE go with a 2.5in........if you put a 3in with a stock turbo or a ko4 you will get less power then the 2.5in......the 3in is made for larger turbos such as a gt28r which I highly doubt you will be needing inless your racing. And go with a chip instead of tuning. A chip will safely get you more power and it is a simple install. And when your at 340 hp at the crank shit starts to brake. (Internally). Are you looking for a turbo upgrade and how much power do you actually want?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was looking at apr chips they only get like 196hp to the crank thats 16 extra hp for 500 dollars when i could get it tuned with 10 dyno pulls for 450 and posssibly get 100hp gain, so why not get the tune. Also is their another name for a diverter valve becuase i am looking for it in the bentley jetta 1,8t service manual but cant find were it is can you help me?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Umm. Take you engine cover off(plastic cover just use a screwdriver) and at the uper right corner you'll see a black cylinder that has a tub going into the top off it. That's you DV. Its connected to the same pipe that your intake leads to. And for a chip. Go to awetuning.com and look at their X+ chips they will provide the most power that you can safely run with the stock turbo. But make sure you get a 2.5 TBE when getting the chip so you achieve maximun HP/TQ.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how do i get the x+ chip do i have to send out my ecm and how can i run my car while it sent out to them?

·
Registered
235 Posts
a FMIC doesnt add power you just get max hp/tq sooner in the power band. and yes i believe you have to send it out so you will be without a car for 2 days. their good, i live near them and they helped me out a lot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
the awe X+ chip will def get more power

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2004 1.8t jetta, with the unitronic stage 2 tune, neuspeed intake, and 3" downpipe. Im about to upgrade the DV valve, and maybe the the intercooler? Im running about 19psi with a stock K03 turbo. Are my stock internals safe??? Do i need to upgrade the intercooler? Also what other upgrades is recommended for this tune? If anyone can help me out thank you.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
this thread is from 2008 lol, stage 2 and your only on 19psi? i have the revo stage 1 and im on 19psi. your internals are safe. the weakest point in the 1.8t is the rods which are rated up to 300hp and then they start to bend

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah i know haha i just started using vwforum. Yup about 18-20psi with the tune. I want to make sure i dont blow the engine, and if can handle that much boost. It comes stock with about 8psi lol. My car has about 36k miles on it..got it with 10k in 2009 and its an 04 lol. yea its a fun vehicle when u play with the upgrades..hows the revo software?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
I have uni stage 2 and push 24psi. Been running likenthat for 60,000+ miles. Your fine. Thanks for using the search function.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts