heres my apr chip and numbers

26psi @ 110 octane

22psi @ 93 octante

18psi @ 91 octane

12.5psi @ 87octane (stock file)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice! thanks for your help. Did you guys upgrade the intercooler? Im looking to upgrade to a front mount. I still have the stock side mount intercooler. I heard the Eurojet front mount fits the best, but their mad expensive, like $800. Anyone know of a cheap decent fmic that fits the 04 jetta?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
i have the eurojet race fmic. its good, but you'll have problems running a skid plate because of the way the charge pipes run. its worth the 800 bucks cause all of the fmic's that are any good are around the same price.
godspeed has a setup for 500 bucks but ive heard its kind of like a make it fit setup that needs like a map sensor bung and a bung for something else.
the forge fmic is also a good one ive heard but it doesnt get rid of the pancake pipe.
greddy also has one for the 1.8t but ive heard that they end up rusting.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
An upgraded side mount is just as good as well. If you want to keep your car kinda hush hush looking..im still running the stock side mount. Probably keep running it until the turbo blows and I replace it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
fubardub....i was looking at the uni stage 2 reviews and it recommends you upgrade the intercooler, and the dv valve. What else have you done to the engine besides the tune? intake and exhaust im assuming?

·
Registered
67 Posts
vdub, what front mount would you recommend the most? Eurojet? Kinetic? or more of I guess which is more reliable and would someone run into less problems if they got it?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
uhhm. i havent heard anything about the kinetic so i cant rele say which is better. the eurojet looks to be larger than the kinetic if im looking at the right one on google.
the only thing with the eurojet is the pipes on the hot side are a bit of a tight fit when youre putting them in. but once theyre in they fit nicely. it just took some wiggling around to get everything to line up.
and on the map sensor i had to extend the wires about 3 inches to get the plug to reach (only on some jetta's from what i've heard)
and fukn dubn gti says that a dieselgeek skidplate wont work with the eurojet race fmic cause of the way the pipes go.
im going to say eurojet because ive never heard anything about a kinetic intercooler, and i know the eurojet will fit with no major modifications, its on the expensive side though. hopefully someone can chime in about the kinetic

·
Registered
60 Posts
vdub....did you feel a difference after you installed the fmic? And do you think i should go with the front mount rather than the side mount upgrade? I still have the stock k03 turbo but the boost is up at 19psi. I dont know if the stock side mount intercooler would still handle the boost.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
i felt a little bit of a difference when i installed it. and when i felt the hot and cold site of the intercooler the cold side was almost ice cold. from what people are saying an upgraded side mount will give you the same as a front mount. id imagine a front mount might be a tad better cause its longer? but then again i think the side mount is thicker. its hard to say

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
fubardub....i was looking at the uni stage 2 reviews and it recommends you upgrade the intercooler, and the dv valve. What else have you done to the engine besides the tune? intake and exhaust im assuming?
Honestly not enough done to take full advantage of the tune. I have the forge 007 dv, race n75, colder ngk plugs, full 3in turbo back exhaust, im still running the stock intercooler, stock piping, stock fpr. This summer I plan on getting a 3.5bar fpr and a 4bar fpr and see if it makes a difference. Also going to purchase a turbo inlet pipe and possibly upgrade to a tyrolsport smic.
TyrolSport SMIC - UG Side Mount Intercooler Comparison for 1.8T Golf and Jetta - vw golf intercooler
By then the turbo should be blown and ill go ko4.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice i have the 3'' downpipe right now going into the stock 2 1/4" end lol. I want to go with the full pipe but i heard its really loud...

how the hell do i get my picture and desription up!!?? cant figure it out i just started using this thing haha

·
Registered
60 Posts
wow that smic is alot bigger than the stock..
Really its not that loud?I always heard the full 3"turbo back system was mad loud and to not get it. But im going to anyway haha i want that power.

I heard the 2.5" turbo back is better for the 1.8t...no idea why??

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
y not go with a dual smic i know theres not alot of info on the web bout it but one of the dubs around here is rolling around with the stock 225 intercoolers off a tt so i know its possible. but Monster Fmic vs dual Smic = sex ..

id only go with the dual smic's if i was tryin for a stealth / sleeper look. which im really not goin for...

the only reason u want a fmic would be for the more volume and surface area .. essentially the more surface area and volume u have the colder the charge air is goin to be.

dimensions
Core dimensions, SMIC 7.5” x 4.5” x 8” calculated volume: 270 in³ x 2 = 540 in³

Core dimensions FMIC - Race Core from eurojet = 31x3x11 - 1023 in³

its pretty obvious the better choice... but if ur goin for a sleeper look u could cut ur volume in half and go dual smic. and fubar if i were u id just upgrade to a fmic ... or even think of dual smic's with ur stock smic u only have 171.3 in³ of volume... and ur only gaining 101.3 in³ vs 851.7 in³ gain if u went with eurojets race fmic... just sayin get ur moneys worth and dont pay too much for something that ur getting a very little gain on..

plus that tyrolsport intercooler is $789 + shipping

vs

Eurojet Race Fmic is $819 + shipping and u get more than double the volume...

anyways back to wat i was saying back at the beggining of this post...

heres a link to a thread i found
VWVortex.com - copying the TT225 twin SMIC idea on a mk4

now this is just sexy ud prob have to fab tabs to make it work tho but this is essentially what ud buy to make this work.. plus the cross over pipe from a tt and a custom made smic to intake mani pipe.

TyrolSport UG SMIC for Audi TT Mk1 TT225

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
ecstuning has a dual smic kit for the 1.8t
i dont trust ecs tuning..... i bought a set of 20mm spacers and lugs, a sharon style metal antenna

the 20mm spacers first off they sent me the wrong lugs they were supposed to come together as a kit the lugs they sent me were too short.... sent em back they give me the right ones ... i go to put the spacers on they go on fine went to go drive it had a horrible wobble in the rear.. went to check to see all the lugs were seated and tight they all were... took everything off layed the spacer on its side shit is soo warped i could press down on one end and the other end comes up so i sent the whole thing back to ecs and got my money back...

as for the sharon antenna the antenna itself is cheap aluminum but that wasnt the problem the problem is they dont use stainless steel screws which started rusting not even a month after i bought the antenna...

idk if its bad luck or what but im not ordering anything from em again..

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
finally, someone else who doesnt trust them. i ordered stuff with them through paypal, and they never shipped it cause when they called my mom they wanted her to charge it to her credit card, not through paypal. so they never shipped my stuff.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts