VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iwanted to know is it possible to install pop out windows for my coupe jetta? what would it take to do this?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
They'd be custom, and one off curved tempered glass is really really expensive. I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iseen sombody taalking about how they were going to do it. but didnt say how. iwouldnt bother myself.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
This was something I had considered myself. Alot of the Hatchbacks from the 80's had these as well. What I figured was that you would need to get the hinges off of another vehicle, and then get the opening end (wether you go with a manual lever or a motorized one.) Then you could get a glass company to drill the holes in your existing glass and mount the hardware, and you would just have to figure out how to mount the hardware to the car itself. You could just use standard weatherstripping for a seal around the window.

I know this would require some pretty hefty work, and at least some metal fab to get the brackets mounted, but I think it would be a nice addition, as it would give you the pressure release for the sunroof without having to roll theh windows down, plus be a more secure way of venting the care while parked.

If you know someone who is interested in doing it, let me know, maybe we can split the R&D investment...

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I think it would be a very unsafe way to vent the parked car. Someone can simply reach in a break off the homemade hinge and gain acess to the car. I have a feeling its a bit more involved then that. Your car wouldn't be sealed tight without custom glass and modified moldings.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hey Carson, could you see if that might be true? If so, I guess I could order the Euro parts for it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Are these the ones that can be found on various minivans? I've never seen these on an MK2 before, though a coupe Jetta with the pop out windows in the rear could look kinda neat if done properly. A lot of work though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maddfras:
iwanted to know is it possible to install pop out windows for my coupe jetta? what would it take to do this?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dude, that's probably the most stupid thing i've ever read before... if you want a van, buy an astro.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tAcOHsVR6:
dude, that's probably the most stupid thing i've ever read before... if you want a van, buy an astro.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kinda like hot rodding a 4 door with a 8V 4 bnager huh?

Don't hate on people for asking questions. and as I said before, this isn't just a mini van thing. Several hatchbacks have had them (older civics [gasp... he used a honda as an example] were one of them, the original beetle had them too on some models, and its a really popular mod for the busses, albeit at the other end
) and I think it is a pretty cool customization. Especially if you are going for a stealth look, tis a way to customize your car with out getting a body kit and going full out.

If you don't have a USEFUL comment, please don't comment. If you don't like the idea, tell us why, will it leak, will it look bad, what? Don't just say its stupid, thats not helpful.

·
Registered
153 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Kinda like hot rodding a 4 door with a 8V 4 bnager huh?

Don't hate on people for asking questions. and as I said before, this isn't just a mini van thing. Several hatchbacks have had them (older civics [gasp... he used a honda as an example] were one of them, the original beetle had them too on some models, and its a really popular mod for the busses, albeit at the other end
) and I think it is a pretty cool customization. Especially if you are going for a stealth look, tis a way to customize your car with out getting a body kit and going full out.

If you don't have a USEFUL comment, please don't comment. If you don't like the idea, tell us why, will it leak, will it look bad, what? Don't just say its stupid, thats not helpful.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like you just said they're common in a van.. and with pop-out windows your security goes down as well. Def not practical nor would it make it look more stealth. If you want stealth without a bodykit try tinting the windows and shaving some emblems, not blending an astro with a jetta. My apologies for the rudeness in the other post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts