VW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the diverter valve is the way to go. However i have heard of a few people running blow off valves on VW's. They cap off the air intake pipe, install the blow off valve in the turbo pipe, and add some sort of mass air flow sensor. The part i'm not sure on is the mass air flow sensor. it's supposed to be some sort of computer chip deal that allows the ECU to run a blow off valve. They sell these types of mass air flow sensors for Eagle Talons, Eclipes, and GM cars. Does anyone have any advise or have hear of a mass air flow sensor for a VW that allows the car to run properly with a blow off valve??
Thanks

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
All I know is that the VW 1.8t was not designed to run a BOV, the MAF/MAP sensor will no meter the air correctly, and unplugging the MAF is counterproductive in my opinion. Yes, there are people running it this way with minimal problems, but very few people. I have not seen any kit that replaces the MAF sensor, unless your talking about a full turbo upgrade, but in my opinion a stock/chipped 1.8t should be running a uprated DV instead.

Disclamer: The names have been changed to protect the innocent, and no BOV's were harmed in the making of this post.

[ October 16, 2003: Message edited by: Josh Fryauff ]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
252 Posts
Our cars were not made for blow-off valves. So why would you want one? When you have a blow off valve you release all your boost instead of recirculating it so every time you let off the gas to change gears the turbo has to completely spool up again. Basically overworking your turbo for no reason. I'm also no mechanic but I'm pretty sure others will agree.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
IF you really want a BOV, HKS offers a recirculation kit for their BOVs that allows it to act like a diverter valve. However, the BOV won't be as loud with the kit on if that is why you wanted the BOV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only reason i wanted a BOV is for the noise. I think it sounds like the car is has "something", other than stock, under the hood. I have a Hyperboost Adjustable DV, and it's great. I was just looking for the noise. Thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Do you have an intake? I have a turbo xs diverter valve and it makes a wooshing sound its not real loud but I'm pretty sure its noticable outside of the car.

·
Registered
291 Posts
personally i like that people dont know whats under my hood...i mean i know most of u guys know that 2001 on gti's were either turbo or vr6 but other ppl dont...i dont have the 1.8T badge on and its kinda fun suprising the HELL outta people when they think i have only a 4 banger...the BOV would just give it all away...but if u want the sound i know they make some kind of air compressors or soemthing...not sure how it works but ive seen/heard cars without a turbo even in them with these compressors sounds a lot like a BOV.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MotorsportJetta:
The only reason i wanted a BOV is for the noise. I think it sounds like the car is has "something", other than stock, under the hood. I have a Hyperboost Adjustable DV, and it's great. I was just looking for the noise. Thanks for your imput.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CAI
Wug has the right idea.

[ October 16, 2003: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Registered
235 Posts
my buddy has got an AEM CAI with a Forge Motorsports DV.... sounds stupid sick (and I mean in a good way)

check it out:

web page

·
Registered
252 Posts
Diverter valve and some cai is the way to go jettamotorsport. Your turbo will thank you, you get the woosh sound just not as loud as a bov, also w/ the cai or a least w/ my p-flow your can hear it sucking in air and the turbo spooling up is alot louder. Some other cool noise but I don't think you can hear them outside the car.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The best of both worlds is the GFB Hybrid valve. It recirculates 50% of the boost, and blows off the other 50%. You get the noise, without the check engine lights. My boy Tom has been running one on his GIAC chipped 1.8T without any problems, at least that I have heard of.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
hey just a quick question... im in the stages of learning about cars and stuff, but what car would a BOV be beneficial on?

·
Registered
218 Posts
they dont make a "blow off value" for the 1.8t jettas there called release values same thing but there is a difference i just ordered one and im hopeing that it sounds good. thanks

03 1.8t jetta tinted windows,system,dual fox exhaust,autometer gauges boost and air and fuel

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Just to answer vwspeed97's question:

A blow off valve is a good idea mainly on a car that comes with one originally (not that many out there I do believe) or a car that has had a custom turbo setup installed. Basically you need a BOV on a custom setup because that boost has to go somewhere when that TB shuts, and if you want the system to last you need to vent it rather than allow such unused boost to backup and cause shocks to the turbo. The BOV is the easiest way of releasing this pressure in a hurry (just weld in a flange on the intake pipe and setup a pressure tube and it's set).

I know that a lot of people run BOV's on WRX's, just to give you an example...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GTIVR62801, what is your friend running where 50% of the air is recycled and the other 50% vented into the atmosphere? And where would i possibly get such a divise? It sounds like the best of both worlds.
Also, does anyone know what kind of CAI would be the best for my 1.8T Jetta? Mainly a CAI that keeps the air cold, not aluminum because it heats up too much with the heat of the motor, which inturn heats up the air before it enters the turbo/intatke maniford. That is the only reason i put a K&N airfilter with a Tornado. null

1 - 16 of 16 Posts