VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

Today (sunday) was Milltek day. So I decided to get all the needed tools together to get started. I had everything I needed and proceeded to dismantle the stock exhaust. I loosen the bolts clamping the pieces together. Then I loosen the brackets that hold the hangers onto the car, no sweat. I remove the muffler, the bent pipe by cutting, excellent! Now to the downpipe. Loosen bolt #1, #2, #3, #4 was a little hard so i decide to give it some OOOMPh. I SNAP THE F'ING THING OFF! The dp is off but now I have a broken bolt. So what shall I do? I try to remove it by heating the flange and twisting it loose with a vice grip, as suggested by a machinist friend. Guess what. I now have the most free flowing exhaust on the market.... none. Its still on jack stands. I'll call some machine shops in the area to see if they can help in removing the busted bolt. I'll also be going to the dealer to pick up a new bolt. WOO HOO!

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
man i feel so bad...you have one of the best exhausts on the market, and you cant even do anything with it...

maybe you could give it to me

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
That just sucks Raf. I've heard of other people breaking bolts also and they've had a hell of a time getting it fixed. Hopefuly you can solve your quickly. I wanna hear it next weekend!!
jon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
yeah raf that really sucks. there are always things happenin with exhausts that are unexpected. hope everything works out.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Definitely uncool. I better see that exhaust on there when I get there in a week!

·
Registered
65 Posts
well i would think that if you have a busted bolt all you would need to do is go buy you an easy out. this method does not allways work. i know this was not that much help but its just a suggestion.

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Well,

Today (sunday) was Milltek day. So I decided to get all the needed tools together to get started. I had everything I needed and proceeded to dismantle the stock exhaust. I loosen the bolts clamping the pieces together. Then I loosen the brackets that hold the hangers onto the car, no sweat. I remove the muffler, the bent pipe by cutting, excellent! Now to the downpipe. Loosen bolt #1, #2, #3, #4 was a little hard so i decide to give it some OOOMPh. I SNAP THE F'ING THING OFF! The dp is off but now I have a broken bolt. So what shall I do? I try to remove it by heating the flange and twisting it loose with a vice grip, as suggested by a machinist friend. Guess what. I now have the most free flowing exhaust on the market.... none. Its still on jack stands. I'll call some machine shops in the area to see if they can help in removing the busted bolt. I'll also be going to the dealer to pick up a new bolt. WOO HOO!

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this coming from the man who told me to do mine myself!!! that sucks raf!i hope everything works out well! when i start on a mod and cant finish it makes my stomach hurt! good luck raf!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marcus,
You are doing a catback install. Different animanl altogether.

Well, its Monday morning at about 6:30.
Heres my game plan. I'm putting the milltek on this morning with the three bolts and driving the dub out the the dealer. I have good (yes, inside) information that, althought the milltek isn't, the OEM bolts are covered under my warranty. The worst of the ware is going to be that i won't have the dub for a day or two.

I'll post something in the afternoon to keep ya guys upto date.

[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
shiiiaattttt!

that's why i don't like doing this myself just incase i screw up or something breaks!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
unless you have a cool dealer they are not doing it for free.....its your bad<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Status Update:
I have a cool dealer. The bolt was removed and replaced with a new one. They even adjusted my exhaust so it sits perfectly. Scared the shit out of me but all is well in milltekville.

[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Status Update:
I have a cool dealer. The bolt was removed and replaced with a new one. They even adjusted my exhaust so it sits perfectly. Scared the shit out of me but all is well in milltekville.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lucky you.... my dealer is a tight ass

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by m of team s and s:
Sweet!How does it sound?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

its nice and quiet at low rpms
A deep tone is easily heard at higher rpms (over 3750 or so)

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
shiiiaattttt!

that's why i don't like doing this myself just incase i screw up or something breaks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah. Im always worried I'll f something up. I leave the important things up to professionals. hope all goes well raf!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts