Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of purchasing my first VW.

It's a 96 Jetta Diesel in what appears to be excellent condition and the odometer reads 135,000KM.

My understanding (correct me if I heard wrong) is that all VW digital odometers roll back to 0 at the 300,000KM mark. Is this true?

If so how can I be sure the car has 135,000KM and NOT 435,000KM?

Thanks.

DD

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
i really dontknow, but i would say taht it has 135,000 just basing taht the year. its a 96 right? yeah i would say it has 135,000 cuz 435,000 is way too many!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I read that the 1994's roll back at 300,000 km's. I'm not sure if it was just that year or not. I would ask a dealer. Also try and get a buyer's info package (I think that's what they call them) on the car, that will tell you how many owners the car has had.

The '96 has the TDI compared to the earlier turbo diesel in the '94's. So they made a lot of changes to the car's electrical system and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the odometers so they wouldn't reset.

[ March 06, 2003: Message edited by: TailpipeSmokeshow ]

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would doubt the VW has a way to reset the Odometer, or rollover. The guys across the pond probably thought about that a long time ago. I know on fords is that if you unplug the speed sensor and or the plug in the back of the intrument panel it will set the check engine light. It will flag a code. So what ever your odometer says is probably right for the vehicle. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dddale:

My understanding (correct me if I heard wrong) is that all VW digital odometers roll back to 0 at the 300,000KM mark. Is this true?

DD
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And why exactly would VW do that? Especially when there are still 6 Numpers to go before running out of the DIGIT?

Doesn't make sense and is not logical...

Conclusion:

This Rumor is Absurd.

PS: I have seen a Diesel DUB with 370,000 KM on it but 435,000 remains to be seen on my behalf.

The all time record reading I saw was a 1994 Buick Regal 3.8 V6 with 509,000 KM on it. It came in as a trade in on a new Toyota about 3 weeks ago. We gave him a whole $50 for the car. I think that his odometer simply screwed up, because that is no way I will believe that this Buick drove that far. (Even though I saw it in person).

·
Registered
499 Posts
The 1994 jetta diesels (i'm not sure if the gassers do or not) DO reset to zero after 300,000 kms. I'm not sure if any other years do or not.

My cousin had an older buick regal, 91 I think. His digital dash reset after 200,000 kms but a little orange light lit up in the corner of the dash. I'm going to look at my dad's car tonight to see if it has a light or something saying it was reset.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If the car has 435000 km (272K miles) then it should be falling apart. Look for major oil consumption, a shot gear box (assuming it's the original), etc... And that means the owner averaged about 40K miles a year, which sounds a little high. My diesel has 70K miles, it's fine but it won't last 4 times that much, no way in hell...

·
Registered
36 Posts
If the car has 435000 km (272K miles) then it should be falling apart. Look for major oil consumption, a shot gear box (assuming it's the original), etc... And that means the owner averaged about 40K miles a year, which sounds a little high. My diesel has 70K miles, it's fine but it won't last 4 times that much, no way in hell...
This is not true, I have a 98 golf 2.0. i bought it breand new with only 5 miles on it. It now have 286,942 miles, does not burn ANY oil I have rplaces the clutch 1 time and I beat the h33l out of it DAILY. and on top of that I live in one of the worst areas for cars, New England.

the point of this is just cause it has alot of miles does not mean it will be falling apart.:lol:

·
Registered
228 Posts
this is not true, i have a 98 golf 2.0. I bought it breand new with only 5 miles on it. It now have 286,942 miles, does not burn any oil i have rplaces the clutch 1 time and i beat the h33l out of it daily. And on top of that i live in one of the worst areas for cars, new england.

The point of this is just cause it has alot of miles does not mean it will be falling apart.:lol:
hey me too! New england babyyy thee worst roads out there! Lol!

·
Registered
225 Posts
as long as you do the maintenance on a car wont it last like a really long ass time? havent there been cars that go like a million miles and shit like that?

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
is there a reason a six year old thread was bumped?

they do in fact roll over at 300k, at least for miles. KM's may be different. you will know because it'll say total either right above or below the miles on the cluster, i can't remember. if it doesn't say total, its rolled over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.