VW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
16 inch oem mk4 wheel replicas(monte carlo) wrapped in LT215/70/16 BFG TA KO all terrain tires. 5x100 is the same bolt patern as most subarus aside from STIs and some WRXs. Also the offset is spaced further from the hub, which is a plus.

I removed all the peeling clear coat off the wheels but never polished them. I think if they were polished they would look even more silly.
There's not much room in there. I still have to hit the inner fenders and part of the frame with a grinder to clear out some very subtle rubbing. This took a lot of grinding and hammering to fit.

The gearing changed by about 1k rpms at highway speed in 5th gear. Crazy stuff. acceleration and braking took a massive hit. one of these wheels weighs almost as much as 3 of the old ones.

Figured someone might get a kick out of this.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Hahahah awesome. We better get some offroad pictures!

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I got them on a lot earlier, I am hoping for more snow next week so I can get a feel for how they will grip next winter but I've got some offroading to do for sure!

It's almost warm enough to bedline the whole car. Perfect for rubbing up against trees and rocks.

Tex can blow me.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next winter maybe.

Need more torque, couldn't even spin the tires in first gear in the snow.
Could on the small tires in 2nd and keep them going in third.

I should take some pics of them on my jetta on jack stands and post it on tex. That would be a riot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i wonder if those wheels are putting a lot of stress on the transmission?
probably no more than most Subaru owner's consistent added weight of ski/snowboard racks, dog and subsequent cage between hatch and back seat, bag of weed and bottle of hippie tears... :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clutch is the weak link with these tires. This trans is the same one they put in the turbo models like WRX and 2.5rs which run closer to 300 hp out of the box.
The motor only makes 135hp/137tq oem and I would assume mine is closer to 120.
These transmissions take something like just under 300 ftlbs of torque, which is small turbo territory. WRX's have a nasty habit of eating gears even with a light tune but I'll never have to worry about hurting it on N/A even if I went balls out.

Lmao I'm no hippy.
Rotating mass does 10 fold to a car what non rotating mass does. You figure I just added at least 200 pounds. The car really does feel like a thousand pound heavier car when I accelerate and brake, but it handles like it's on rails.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Clutch is the weak link with these tires. This trans is the same one they put in the turbo models like WRX and 2.5rs which run closer to 300 hp out of the box.
The motor only makes 135hp/137tq oem and I would assume mine is closer to 120.
These transmissions take something like just under 300 ftlbs of torque, which is small turbo territory. WRX's have a nasty habit of eating gears even with a light tune but I'll never have to worry about hurting it on N/A even if I went balls out.

Lmao I'm no hippy.
Rotating mass does 10 fold to a car what non rotating mass does. You figure I just added at least 200 pounds. The car really does feel like a thousand pound heavier car when I accelerate and brake, but it handles like it's on rails.
Sorry, should have specified "seattle Subaru owners" (face palm). I would imagine you're going to be just fine on trans, maybe slip a clutch occasionally but nothing like my customers that are replacing their $4-6k suncoast custom trans for the 3rd time before calling me for gears on their diesel pickups. the only thing I would look out for with the taller tires would be brg/hub assemblies wearing out quicker along with ball joints and steering components. it's the little stuff that goes quicker with bigger tires.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
subarus are legos where nearly anything sti/wrx can bolt up to anything else, I can probably find a poly high strength anything for the steering.

I lied about not being able to spin tire, they gave up the grip with a little love in 4 inches of snow. Sure didn't want to stop spinning though. :D

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found some mud but it was too dark for pics

Not bad looking for a piece of crap now.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
16 inch oem mk4 wheel replicas(monte carlo) wrapped in LT215/70/16 BFG TA KO all terrain tires. 5x100 is the same bolt patern as most subarus aside from STIs and some WRXs. Also the offset is spaced further from the hub, which is a plus.

I removed all the peeling clear coat off the wheels but never polished them. I think if they were polished they would look even more silly.
There's not much room in there. I still have to hit the inner fenders and part of the frame with a grinder to clear out some very subtle rubbing. This took a lot of grinding and hammering to fit.

The gearing changed by about 1k rpms at highway speed in 5th gear. Crazy stuff. acceleration and braking took a massive hit. one of these wheels weighs almost as much as 3 of the old ones.

Figured someone might get a kick out of this.
That thing has better off-road tires than my actual 4 x 4 truck! Well done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts