VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem persists with my suspension. I have a 2003 Volkswagen Golf GTI VR6. Last winter I installed a set of Raceland Ultimo coilovers. Recently I had a bad knocking sound coming from the front struts. Turns out my upper strut mounts were worn out. I replaced them and the problem stopped for about a week.

Then, it came back. Not being able to figure out the problem, I take it to my mechanic which replaced the lower strut pinch bolts for me and torqued them down to spec, to no avail. Turns out.. my two front coilovers are sinking through the lower knuckles where they clamp in. They've ripped through my cv boots, with grease every where.

Literally nothing we're doing is stopping them from sinking. It's as if the knuckle is not tightening down strong enough to hold the lower part of the coilover in place. What do I do? I'm so lost.

Basically depressing me considering its my only car and can't afford to get a daily or anything of that sort.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
It's kinda common. Wholder he coilovers were installed the first time, someone over tightened the pinch bolts. This crushed the coil body causing it to easily slide down into the axle. Racelands are known for this. Only real solution is new coilovers or have someone weld a bead or some sort of stopper to prevent it from sliding down too far. I kinda did this on my fk's.

I used the abs line holder bracket as my stopper.

If you were local I could easily fix the issue. I have done a few. Usually just run a bead around the body.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out.. My racelands are missing the metal tabs that have the whole for the pinch bolt to go through.. racelands sending me new replacements. Thank god.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Well I hate to tell you that those metal tabs won't do anything. Think about it. They are thin sheet metal. They won't hold the weight of the car on them. Those are there just as guides. Either way you are getting new front so that's a plus. Be sure jot to tighten them down too much.

·
Registered
265 Posts
post some picks of you reinstalling or just the coilovers put together. I'm having some trouble with mine at the moment.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Second problem is if you're install using the old bolts they are stretch bolts and they will only keep a proper grab one time and at a specific torque range or they become plastic instead of elastic. I replaced my bolt and it kept the strut up where it needed to be. Worth a shot if you can't get ahold of someone to wield right away and you need the car on the ground.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See the thing is, my coilovers sink ever so slightly. When I push the coil housing up, it'll take two days of driving for it to slowly sink. So that tab of metal is just stopping it from budging over time which is what I need. Regardless, I always replace the pinch bolts when I take them off. Also torque them down to 45 ft-lbs spec.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
You could take some 40 grit sand paper and rough up the knuckle area where the coil body sits. That will give it some resistance too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts