VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Far departure from what I had decided on before...I finally decided what I am doing for rims.

On Friday, I utilized the wholesale account that my job has with the Tire Rack...and I ordered some 18X8 ASA AR1s wrapped in Kumho Ecsta MXs.

Hopefully this image works...

[ February 14, 2004: Message edited by: GTIVR62801 ]

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Good choice Carson. I had some ASAs on my chrysler and they were solid rims. I'm sure no one will know that they aren't vw. But hey, when I brought my car to my cousin's work, all the people there asked how much I paid for my aristos.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i like them! cant wait to see the pics!

EDIT: you wouldent be interested in selling your audi rims would ya?

[ February 14, 2004: Message edited by: GalacticVR6 ]

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Audi rims were already sold to one of my boys at work, which necessitated the purchase of these rims.

As for OEM...they look like BBS rims, which are OE, but without the BBS price tag. Ill probably get the BBS RCs or OZ Aristos down the road when I have money to burn, when and if that happens. I think these rims will look sufficiently hot, and will fool a lot of people when I put the VW center caps in.

Also, ASA is a South Korean manufacturer, but the design of the wheel and the manufacturing process are both licensed from BBS. In essence, it is a South Korean BBS wheel. I couldn't find a competetively priced BBS wheel with a nice lip like these wheels have. And I also haven't seen another Mark 4 GTI with these particular wheels on it yet. They are also lightweight, 22.5 lbs each.

[ February 14, 2004: Message edited by: GTIVR62801 ]

·
Registered
22 Posts
You know, I would love to get some rims and tires for my ride, but I'm really afraid, after they put them on, that I won't like them. What is The Tire Rack like for returns. They have the part of their website that allows you to try the rims on your vehicle, but that only gives you a rough idea of what they'll look like. Would I be better off dealing with a custom shop near where I live? I'm very picky as far as rims go.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
I think these rims will look sufficiently hot, and will fool a lot of people when I put the VW center caps in.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it is possible to change regular caps w/ vw caps right?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its definately possible to make VW center caps work, as long as the hole sizes are the same. I don't think it would be a problem.

And if you want to see what rims look like on your own personal car, post up a topic asking VWF members to Photoshop it, and you can see what different rims look like on your own car. Short of that, your best bet is to find a car similar to yours with the rims you are interested in, or go to a custom shop as you said.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
nice choice on rims!
y not go for some bbs? they look basically the same.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
nice choice on rims!
y not go for some bbs? they look basically the same.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check the price out
Those ASAs are considerably less.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats why I got these man. They are pretty much BBS rims, without the BBS price tag. They are made the same way as BBS rims (the manufacturing process is licensed from BBS) and the designs are also licensed from BBS. I could have got the 337 BBS RCs from work for $250 a rim + tax, and would then have to buy the tires on top of it all...I am paying around $180 a rim for these wheels, and they have a nice lip on them, which the RCs don't. And the Tire Rack is mounting and balancing the wheel/tire package, and I like it better that way cause our tire machine at work can mess up rims sometimes, so I would rather not risk mounting them myself.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I saw these on a GTI...Check out the 'tex for their wheel thread; they have pics of all kinds of wheels on GTIs and Jettas and gives you a good idea of whether you'll like them on your ride or not...

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Those are great looking. I love the BBS style wheels, and seems as though the price was right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
lookin badass Carson, cant wait to take some pics with our cars once you get those things on

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i have asa's on my car and i love them. although i have em9's, they are still sweet and look like bbs. Im in the market to sell or trade them for some 18s. if anyone is intersested let me know. i have about 85% tread left. great condtion sumitomo htr+'s. great sticky tired ans amazing in wet and snow weather.
rich

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dubwink:
i have asa's on my car and i love them. although i have em9's, they are still sweet and look like bbs. Im in the market to sell or trade them for some 18s. if anyone is intersested let me know. i have about 85% tread left. great condtion sumitomo htr+'s. great sticky tired ans amazing in wet and snow weather.
rich
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rich go for 17s. Carson, looking very nice man. Can you check what size vw center caps come in? I would like to replace my moda centers for vw ones (r3s look simalar to aristos)

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sure, Ill try and compare the 2 sizes tomorrow...I know the ASA's won't take the caps from my Montreal 2s, so I'll most likely have to use a Passat alloy rim center cap, which is slightly larger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts