VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They seemed determend not to let me get a new car, or a VW at that. I don't even want a new one. I want one in good condition and an older model. My mom goes off and takes my current POS car(which is obviously better than a good VW would be /sarcasm) and talks to the guy at the car shop and he said he wouldn't touch VW's, that they weren't good cars and that all the kids want them... The last 2 of which aren't true. I know 1 kid at my school who wants one. I've been doing all this ****ing research in order to get a new car with the best knowledge possible then my parents just seem to ignore it. My mom thinks everybody on the internet is a liar and a pervert and my dad really just seems to ignore most of the stuff I do. But when I bring up selling my car they jump all over me saying stuff like "Well if you sell this car what happens when you get another that is just is bad or worse?" "Why do you want a 5 speed!!??!" Blah blah blah blah blah... I'm so fed up with it. They can't just simply go along with what I want. I know they wish good for me, but they get all up and arms. Plus another guy my mom talked to, apparently the only guy who will work on older VW's, according to the first guy I mentioned, said the year's I'm looking at(90-92) are good years, but states that parts are hard to find and they're hard to fix... I have more and more stuff I'm fed up with at the moment. Can somebody help me straighten this out?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OneManLan:
They seemed determend not to let me get a new car, or a VW at that. I don't even want a new one. I want one in good condition and an older model. My mom goes off and takes my current POS car(which is obviously better than a good VW would be /sarcasm) and talks to the guy at the car shop and he said he wouldn't touch VW's, that they weren't good cars and that all the kids want them... The last 2 of which aren't true. I know 1 kid at my school who wants one. I've been doing all this ****ing research in order to get a new car with the best knowledge possible then my parents just seem to ignore it. My mom thinks everybody on the internet is a liar and a pervert and my dad really just seems to ignore most of the stuff I do. But when I bring up selling my car they jump all over me saying stuff like "Well if you sell this car what happens when you get another that is just is bad or worse?" "Why do you want a 5 speed!!??!" Blah blah blah blah blah... I'm so fed up with it. They can't just simply go along with what I want. I know they wish good for me, but they get all up and arms. Plus another guy my mom talked to, apparently the only guy who will work on older VW's, according to the first guy I mentioned, said the year's I'm looking at(90-92) are good years, but states that parts are hard to find and they're hard to fix... I have more and more stuff I'm fed up with at the moment. Can somebody help me straighten this out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well lots of people don't know good cars when they see them. You don't see too many fords with 200k miles on them but you can see plenty of VWs with that many. German's make great cars - I don't care what anyone says. As far as I can tell parts won't really be that hard to find. I had a friend with an old rocco and he had parts from every kind of vw on that thing b/c they were all interchangeable. There are also some quality junkyards to get used parts from for good prices. If you look in the resources section there is a link to at least on in there and I've heard of a couple others from friends that own older models. Tell your paretns 5 speeds are cheaper to fix than autos and it will make you a better driver b/c you won't be able to talk on the phone or zone out. Other's can chime in on all the points I missed....

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OneManLan:
...."Why do you want a 5 speed!!??!" Blah blah blah blah blah... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i got this a lot when i was looking for my current car! imo the 90-92 were the best years and always had very few problems! just keep at it and eventually your parents will give in. the only problem is that it might take a long time!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well like tommunist said 5 speeds do keep you more focused on the road, they are also better on gas mileage, and its a good thing to know. Your parents seem very strict, but say your out with some friends who happen to be drinking. You being the good kid that you are werent drinking a drop. the kid driving has a 5-speed. Well how should these kids get home?! If you know how to drive stick you can drive them. If not its going to be a big old mess...thats the story that i know that works well for many. But if that doesnt sound good any emergency and you need to drive a friends car or anyones car that has stick its a good thing to know. OK enough of that. the other thing about parts and people working on them is a crock. Yea its true a lot of old school mechanics who will only work on americans or a certain style of cars wont work on german cars. The main reason for that I believe is that german car companies make specific tools for their cars which are ALWAYS different from any other cars tools. Theres a specific tool for everything in german cars and the price for mechanics to start working on germans alone would be way too much. I know of a few places near me who will work on my car and i live in a pretty not built up area. Getting parts for these cars arent hard either. I had a 92 Jetta and my god there were parts like crazy. I had a VW junkyard place up the road from me (still do). I think theres a german car only junkyard site online after i post this im gonna see if i can find it...But no offense but your parents sound a little ignorant to the facts and they just have to talk to the right people, but dont forget they are your parents and have the final say...so get on their good side and dont ruin ALLL chances of getting a dub!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*golf clap* Thanks guys. My parents and I just had a 'talk'. Another setback. They told me mostly that they just want me to have driving experiance before I get a new car. And they want me to pay my current car off in monthly installments as I have been doing. Which will probably get me a car around my birthday this year. My dad really let off on the 5 speed thing. He said that he wants me to have more experiance before I get one, if I do. They told me to keep looking at cars and keep paying mine off. It went better than I hoped.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I love being spoiled

Parents can be a pain in the ass, if you speak to them like an adult and present the facts and have a good responce to all the concenrs they have you should be able to sway their views. Fact is, VW's are amoung some of the best quality cars on the roads.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
*golf clap* Thanks guys. My parents and I just had a 'talk'. Another setback. They told me mostly that they just want me to have driving experiance before I get a new car. And they want me to pay my current car off in monthly installments as I have been doing. Which will probably get me a car around my birthday this year. My dad really let off on the 5 speed thing. He said that he wants me to have more experiance before I get one, if I do. They told me to keep looking at cars and keep paying mine off. It went better than I hoped.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds pretty fair to me. I would definetly like to share the road with a more experienced/responsible driver. That is not saying your not responsible, but the things your parents are asking will definetly envoke experience, and make you even more of a resposible person that you already are.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
My friend owns a Rabbit with 635,000 miles on it. 'Nuf said.

Easy to work on, easy to find parts for. Yeah shit falls off them... but look at any other economy car from 1990, most of them aren't even on the road anymore.

·
Registered
345 Posts
635000 miles! god damn! still same engine?

·
Registered
345 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nIGaTuk1.8T:
Well like tommunist said 5 speeds do keep you more focused on the road, they are also better on gas mileage, and its a good thing to know. Your parents seem very strict, but say your out with some friends who happen to be drinking. You being the good kid that you are werent drinking a drop. the kid driving has a 5-speed. Well how should these kids get home?! If you know how to drive stick you can drive them. If not its going to be a big old mess...thats the story that i know that works well for many. But if that doesnt sound good any emergency and you need to drive a friends car or anyones car that has stick its a good thing to know. OK enough of that. the other thing about parts and people working on them is a crock. Yea its true a lot of old school mechanics who will only work on americans or a certain style of cars wont work on german cars. The main reason for that I believe is that german car companies make specific tools for their cars which are ALWAYS different from any other cars tools. Theres a specific tool for everything in german cars and the price for mechanics to start working on germans alone would be way too much. I know of a few places near me who will work on my car and i live in a pretty not built up area. Getting parts for these cars arent hard either. I had a 92 Jetta and my god there were parts like crazy. I had a VW junkyard place up the road from me (still do). I think theres a german car only junkyard site online after i post this im gonna see if i can find it...But no offense but your parents sound a little ignorant to the facts and they just have to talk to the right people, but dont forget they are your parents and have the final say...so get on their good side and dont ruin ALLL chances of getting a dub!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I drive, eat, talk on the phone with my car

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTI 1.8T:

I drive, eat, talk on the phone with my car
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting... what does you car like to eat?... 8 ) I don't really plan on doing that much. And one of my friends who drives stick, I've seen him eat, talk on the phone, and drive all at once. It was cool to say the least.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Interesting... what does you car like to eat?... 8 ) I don't really plan on doing that much. And one of my friends who drives stick, I've seen him eat, talk on the phone, and drive all at once. It was cool to say the least.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feed my card chicken at times
when i got mines, like 5 months ago, i kept on stalling. But im expert by now

[ March 04, 2004: Message edited by: GTI 1.8T ]

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTI 1.8T:
635000 miles! god damn! still same engine?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No... 3rd engine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gotmilfMK3:
holy dogshit...you have the same parents as me? seems alot like it...my parents are really gay about me buying a car aswell, all i can say man is hang in there and good stuff will happen for you
--dave--
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not much else I can do.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Keep your license and your nose clean and prove you're mature enough to make your own vehicle choices. Show them some of the research, point out the sites for parts and show the interest, the dedication... the dub love. It also helps to be makin' the money to cover it all too. Save it like ya mean it!

Parents respond well to responsibility. Plus as someone else said, talk to them on their level. Calm, cool and collected. Best of luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JJ2112:
Keep your license and your nose clean and prove you're mature enough to make your own vehicle choices. Show them some of the research, point out the sites for parts and show the interest, the dedication... the dub love. It also helps to be makin' the money to cover it all too. Save it like ya mean it!

Parents respond well to responsibility. Plus as someone else said, talk to them on their level. Calm, cool and collected. Best of luck!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
! I agree with you!!! That's what i did to get my car

[ March 04, 2004: Message edited by: GTI 1.8T ]

·
Registered
413 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
My friend owns a Rabbit with 635,000 miles on it. 'Nuf said.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw a bunny at the drags two years ago, the thing had 500,000 miles on it, and still ran in the 14s.
of course I was the only one out of my friends who was impressed, but they like their american cars.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
holy dogshit...you have the same parents as me? seems alot like it...my parents are really gay about me buying a car aswell, all i can say man is hang in there and good stuff will happen for you
--dave--

1 - 20 of 23 Posts