VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I leave the local 7-11 today only to find my baby got keyed! I swear if I ever found out who did it I will run my key down his face. This thing is HUGE, it runs across my passenger side from about halfway down the rear door all the way to the front fender, we're talking like 3 feet long. I was wondering what I can be expecting to pay to get it fixed, (my cars Blue lagoon if it makes a difference since i know thats an uncommon color). And if Full Coverage insurance will cover that sort of thing, also whether or not my premiums will go up. I guess if it happened ever now was the best time since im getting my body kit in a few days and they will be doing painting anyway. In any case, input is appreciated, and f*ck all the dub haters and enviers out there!

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
My Jetta is Blue Lagoon, I love the color. Unfortuntly if it is across panels and deep it could be a few hundred to re-paint. Since the color is metallic you can't blend you will need to get the hole side repainted.

I feel your pain!

·
Registered
7 Posts
When mine got keyed i got quoted about $800. That included the door and rear quarter, both which had huge scratches. Still havent gotten it done yet, shooting for summer i hope.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, got a quote today and it is gonna cost me just shy of 800 bones to fix it, I think i might try to scam insurance and have them paint the kit and the scratch at the same time as one job, and have insurance pay all but the deductable, IT just might work!! In any case Im gettin it done in about a week. I hate looking at it so i am too impatient to wait

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
yeah me too. One week after I got my gti, I had it keyed on the passenger side door (about 2 feet of scratch). So I want to get a bunch of quotes, and get it fixed this summer or spring.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I havent been keyed, but apparently Green is a hard color to see, b/c I have people backin into me all the time. The other day I came out from lunch and some hillbilly was sittin ont he hood of my car in his painted on nut crushin jeans. I about freaked, b/c I could just imagine the rivets leaving some huge ass scratches on the paint. Anyway, I just said, " It's a volkswagen, not a sofa" and got in the car and tore off.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Sorry to hear that, TheBoraDJ. I didn't get any actions of vandalism on my Jetta so far. However my car got scratched by another cars. I fix it most of the time right away, though. One time I was in Mississauga office and I was sitting by the window in a meeting. As I see a "rather stupid" lady go into her ugly ass green neon, which was parked right beside my car. I parked as far as possible from her car, and the other parking spot beside me was handicapped and really wide (so no worry there, I thought). Well it was windy out and I see the lady get into her neon, (everything is fine) until she decides to let go of her door. The wind took the freaking stupid neon door and decided to just flip it into my drivers' side door. My car was backed up into that spot (cause I like to watch the car through the window). Now here is the thing... I was in a business meeting with second line managers so I couldn't scream out...or run out.

Can you imagine the feeling inside me at that point? I felt like running through the freaking glass !!! (and yes... Kick the shit out of her neon) but she was with a little kid so even if I did run out I couldn't scream at her.

"It's a Volkswagen, not a sofa" that is freaking funny man.

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
$800!! damn, my scratch is just on the door, luckily. tf, I can't imagine being in your situation. I bet you just froze up, and being helpless in that situation, that has got to kill. very good quote fli gti.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
sorry about your car man, hopefully you can get yoru kit painted !

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I had my car for about 5 months now and i have a dent in my drivers side front fender, from some retard who backed into me in a grocery store parking lot, and i have a sratch on my drivers side door from someone banging their door into mine. The worst part is that i was not their to witness any of it

there goes the possibility of an cai and a new dv...for now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't scam your insurance man....sure you might get away with it...but its just bad karma.

What comes around goes around. It sucks that you got keyed, but play it honest and you will reap the rewards.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheBoraDJ:
I think i might try to scam insurance and have them paint the kit and the scratch at the same time as one job<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

go for it... we all pay so much for insurance IN CASE $H!T happens just incase, so when something does happen we have to make it work out the best for us

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
go for it... we all pay so much for insurance IN CASE $H!T happens just incase, so when something does happen we have to make it work out the best for us<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with big dub.

All insurance companies are extending their arms for money money money... but when the time comes to pay out they try to scam you -- so why not scam them back.

After all:

"An insurance company (not necessarily the agents) is a legal criminal"
TF242 2003

HE HE HE

·
Registered
11 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
I agree with big dub.

All insurance companies are extending their arms for money money money... but when the time comes to pay out they try to scam you -- so why not scam them back.

After all:

"An insurance company (not necessarily the agents) is a legal criminal"
TF242 2003

HE HE HE
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you ever seen the balance statements for insurance companies? Its not like they are making money hand over fist.....I happen to see the balance sheet for my insurance company every year because they are non-profit, and I have seen the balance sheets for others as well - its very competitive, so please don't assume they are making money like loan sharks.

Cheating your insurance company simply makes everyone else's rates go up. You can try to justify it any way you want, but its still illegal and unethical.

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: Matthew_Phoenix ]

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I don't think that is 100% true for all insurance companies.

The thing is, they are sharks... but definetly not loan sharks.

I had 3 claims in my life and I lost money on all of them... so you can tell me all you want how they are nice and all I know what I've been through...

Keep in mind that is an opinion based on my experience and I'll stick to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well things happen - there are crooks in every business and bad experiences happen. Personally, I have been in 3 accidents - all of which caused by other drivers, and all of which I came out of ok. At one point my insurance company wasn't going to help me collect from the other insurance company so I said screw off...and promptly switched companies (which actually saved me money).

I'm not saying insurance companies don't make money - as a matter of fact they do quite well, but it still isn't nearly as high as some would like to think....the business is simply too competitive for their to be huge profits factored in.

The bottom line is having a body kit painted at the expense of your insurance company is not only unethical and immoral and costing everyone else money, but it is also felony theft and insurance fraud.

It sucks that there are people out there who would key someone's car, and it sucks that it costs an innocent person their deductable to repair the damage - but when someone essentially steals from their insurance company to scam them into painting they body kit, that puts them no better than the person who keyed their car.

Opinions vary - but I can't possibly respect that sort of thing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put yourself in my shoes, 800 dollars of senseless damage, slap on that 500 dollar deductable, combine that with what i pay A MONTH for insurance, simply because of my demographic ($360), yeah you read that right and you get someone who HATES insurance. In addition to that a buddy of mine got hit by a drunk driver last year in MY car and MY premiums went up, they have also tried to scam ME by invention incidents saying I have been getting all sorts of tickets that never happened. I have had to send them copies of my driving record about 5 times now to get it straightened out (thats another 100 bones from dmv). Now I don't know about you all, but the only thing insurance has ever done for me is take money from me, sometimes even illegitimately, so if they can repay some of that money they have essentially stolen from me, fuck em, i am gonna do it. You can give me the righteous bit all you want, but insurance companies are far from being the saintly coorperation, and one inicident of the little guy getting back what is rightfully his is not gonna hurt all the stingy conservatives who get mad when their $65 premiums go up 50 cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey justify it to yourself however you can....if that helps you sleep at night great.

The real problem I see is that your insurance company simply sucks. Why not switch companies and save yourself some headaches?

Then you have the issue of your costs. Yes, being young sucks because insurance rates are high - but don't think they do that just to pick on you. They do it because young drivers cause more accidents than older drivers, therefore it is only fair to charge them more.

So some *^$^##%@ keyed your car and left $800 damage - that sucks. But that is why we have insurance. You having to pay $500 isn't "fair" but then again neither is life. However, if you didn't want to spend $500, you should have changed your policy to a lower deductable. Life is full of tradeoffs...save a few bucks on the monthly policy or pay a higher deductable.....its your choice, but in this case obviously it didn't play your way.

I wish there was something we could do about people that key cars like that....but unless you catch them in the act, there isn't much we can do. I remember walking out to my car one day and finding a huge door ding right above the back wheel....no note on my car, no explanation - just a $400 dent.

It happens to us all, and you can do what you wish - I chose to pay for repairs to my car myself, but if you choose to scam your insurance company and get caught, just don't whine to us.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
man i hope it gets fixed! Blue Lagoon is teh best color! DB, how many dubs you got? i thought you only had the Bug, MK2 and the VR6. hope everythign goes ok man!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Man, I hate to hear stuff like that! But don't feel bad. I just got a '02 Jetta TDI, black, tan leather, and about 3 weeks ago I was approaching an intersection on a green light going about 40mph, when some idiot in a van coming in the opposite direction decided to try and beat me to the intersection to turn left and ended up misjudging things, slamming into the left side of my car, spinning me around in the road, fishtailing and nearly turning over. Thankfully nobody was hurt, and take it from me.....this is one safe car! It performed admirably under the circumstances and the handling/responsiveness saved my ass, not to mention the side and head airbags. The whole left side of my beautiful Jetta from the center of the front door, back was completely demolished. The 20 yr-old who hit me said, "I didn't know I was supposed to yield." You beleive that??!!! I went livid on him when I heard that. Just what the hell do you THINK you're supposed to do approaching an intersection on a green light with traffic coming the other way? Unbelievable.

Anyway, he had good insurance and within 2 hrs they admitted guilt and arranged a rental car and towed my car to a VW repair facility. $8,000 damage, a lot of it the airbags. No frame damage. New front & rear door shells, rear quarter panel, rocker panel, bumper, wheel & tire, etc. Brakes are fine. The car still drove fine after the wreck (had to pull it off the road)! The main body work has been done and it's now at the dealer for the airbag installation. It won't be painted or the rear window put back in until the airbags are installed. I saw it for the first time since the accident yesterday and they did a great job on the body. Everything lines up perfectly, all door and body seams are even. If they match the paint and do a good paint job, it should look fine. My only problem is once a car is damaged, I don't want it anymore, no matter how good it looks. Nice thing about a lease...I can just turn it back in. Still pi*^es me off. But I'm a testament to how safe Jettas are.

DRC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts