VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i remove the rev limiter and the governer from my car, since they don't sell a ecu chip for my car.My friend bougt a 82 stock scirroco 1.8 8v and it doesnt have a rev limiter and i don't feel it has a governer, how they do that!.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't know what year or engine you have but the rev limiter is there to preserve the life of the engine. There is no extra power up there in 8000 rpm land, you're not driving a honda!

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
My jetta has a neuspeed computer chip in it and now has no rev limiter in it.But even at 140mph I don't hit the 6000rpm mark.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
If you have a 1.8T, which is what it sounds like from your name, they do sell chips for your car. Like Joe already said, you don't really need to go past the red line, there is no power up there. The exhaust just gets all clogged up and you get all sorts of back pressure. You're better off shifting once you get up around the red line.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i agree, once it the hp and tq peaks, there is no need to go any further.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My APR chip bumped the rev limiter up, and also got rid of the governer. If you get a 3" downpipe or turbo back exhaust, it will allow you to hold higher boost and pull much harder beyond 5.5k rpms than if you don't, so there is usable power up there if you free the exhaust up. If you have a stock exhaust though, you are better shifting around redline or even before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts