VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
To get a sponsor you either need to have (already) modified car (for show contests) or be a heck of a driver (otherwise you won't beat anybody in a race contest).

You simply go to a contest without a sponsor and place at least 3rd or higher.

Then you can submit that info to a company and tell them that you've placed 3rd or higher meaning people will see your car. (or you went to a show with no people
)

This means if you had sponsored info (like stickers, logo etc) the sponsor would benefit from you as if you would be a means of advertising.

In return they can either give you discounts or parts or labor at no charge.

There are different levels of sponsorship.

You can try Neuspeed or RPI Equipped to start.

Hope this helps a little bit.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mk1gti83:
Well I have only showed at a couple shows but I have won. I recived Best VW Rabbit at Import War/Vw mayhem<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There you go. Also try TM Tuning.

Now you need to get signed up, slap sponsor stickers on, and prove to them that you can win again, take pics of your car or any writeup that you have won with their stickers on your dub, and you shall get rewarded.

·
Registered
499 Posts
if you were to get sponsered, would they control you? Would they MAKE you go to different shows. I don't know how the whole sponser thing works and am just wondering.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TailpipeSmokeshow:
if you were to get sponsered, would they control you? Would they MAKE you go to different shows. I don't know how the whole sponser thing works and am just wondering.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sponsored and they never tell me where to go. However you get things if you go and win. TM Tuning has 3 degrees of sponsorship, I am at the bottom so I don't know how it is for the big guns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As you move up in any sponsorship agreement they become more personalised. At the top they may be willing to pay you and your expenses to be at certain shows, but that is going to require you to be a proven winner. Sponsorships are great, but it is going to take a lot of green and time to get them to back you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Try to target a sponsor. If you are a show person, don't try to go after a shop that does only performance type stuff. Many shops may or may not have an image of sorts if you will. Some like the show cars, some like straight race cars.

If you go to ask for sponsorship, make sure you send an excellent letter either email or paper. State the facts - what car you have, what you did, and probably most all - what do you want out of your car in the future. Are you going to stay in the show arean or move onto to autocross or drags. If someone says, we'll get back to you - that either means go away kid don't bother us or we may have some interest. I think most places will be honest with you and say no right away. You will be turned down, so don't let it get you down. Getting a sponsor - to have them do anything (Free labor, free parts, or money) is a VERY hard thing to do. Make is easy for the sponsors to track you. Make a somewhat good looking website. It makes it easier for someone to look at pictures on your site then sending them 50 attachments that just slow their server down. This may sound drastic, but then again you need something that makes you stand out in the crowd right?

Things not to say:
1. I want to start to show
2. I want to start to race
3. I haven't done anything
4. Can you just give me something

Unfortunately, you will have to have some sort of history and as mentioned before a winning streak. Hit the big shows.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am doing the same thing as you...looking for sponsors. There is a litte information on the internet about this topic, you just have to search hard for it. One little pointer..You need to understand this is a business for them....not a hobbie. Some sponsors will require you to go to so many local shows and so many national shows. Some will require you to place a certain amount of times. It really all depends on the sponsor.

Make a portfolio that includes a cover letter, pictures of your car, list of current mods, list of future mods, shows attended and shows placed at, and any other sponsors you may currently have. Usually they don't take on new people to sponsor during the show season. They like to find you before the season starts.

I hope I helped a little!

Jenn

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
A friend of mine shows a 3000gt with sponsership.He has tons of mods though.But he receives alot of free merchandice.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allure:
I am doing the same thing as you...looking for sponsors. There is a litte information on the internet about this topic, you just have to search hard for it. One little pointer..You need to understand this is a business for them....not a hobbie. Some sponsors will require you to go to so many local shows and so many national shows. Some will require you to place a certain amount of times. It really all depends on the sponsor.

Make a portfolio that includes a cover letter, pictures of your car, list of current mods, list of future mods, shows attended and shows placed at, and any other sponsors you may currently have. Usually they don't take on new people to sponsor during the show season. They like to find you before the season starts.

I hope I helped a little!

Jenn
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably the hardest part is getting your first sponsor. Once you get that first sponsor, then others seem to follow muck smoother. There 's a guy(I'm not really friends with)he has a focus. His first sponsor was with a tire company...I think BF Goodrich. But know I think he has 8 or 9 sponsors. He picked up 2 at carlisle.

I know, I would like to get a sponsor but what do you do?? You can't just wait by your car and hope someone important walks by. Or hunt them down and say "Hey, come check out my car"
I have tried AWE tuning, I sent them an e-mail telling all the shows I've been to(and Won) AWE is mostly a speed shop(racing, Autocross) not really into show cars
Yes, I have a show car but that's not all it is
True meaning of Sho-N-Go

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
well he hasn't posted on here lately but i've talked to him over IM and he rapped his car around a honda when it was raining one day. he now has a turboed 16v GTI now, seen pics, looks sweet.
jon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts