VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around trying to find the answer but with no luck. I have a 2000 Golf with the stock monsoon amp. I want to install a new amp but don't know what I need to do with the wire harness in the monsoon amp. Running a power wire and control wire is no problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
are you running stock deck still or upgrading the head unit to have subwoofer controls is it a mono amp or 4 channel. stock door speakers are ok with sub pre amp and new unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The factory speakers are junk. Paper cone. I have the same car and currently doing all these mods minus the amp upgrade. The stock amp is actually pretty decent in itself and I would say use it and match it up with new speakers and with a new head unit.

In your case your complicating the system. The easiest route would be to use an upgraded head unit, then use its ports for the sub that come out the back. RCA ports I believe. Then route those wires to the back where you have loads of room to mount your sub box and amp all together for a cleaner look thats easier to upgrade or service on in the future. Use the stock amp to drive better door, mids and tweeters.

Another option... is also an easy one to do is to buy a powered sub. It will drive itself independently of the stock speakers and amp.Wire it into a new Head unit.

The head units in our cars are there biggest flaws to the sound system. Then the stock speakers..
then the tweeters ..then the amp lastly.

I replaced all my door and mid speakers with kicker 6 1/2" 41dsc654 speakers(250w peak), tweeters where Kicker 41CST204 (100 watt peak), used a JVC KW-R910BT, wiring harness and dash trim kit..stock look, custom sound ;)
The stock amp pushes this package beautifully. Crystal clear highs, booming bass and loud enough to pound your chest. No rattle/vibrations or starving the battery and alternator either. if you would like to see pics let me know
cheers

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i have a 2003 golf that had a monsoon audio system in it as well. i had replaced the head unit with an aftermarket one and maybe a few month went by and the factory amp quite so i rewired all the speakers from the head unit back. its really not that hard to rewire everything. and you can also upgrade the speaker wire while your at it. and then running an amp and subs will be a lot easier then messing with the stock stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts