VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this so I hope I am posting in the right spot! I have an 02 jetta when I bought the car the ecu didnt match the engine it was throwing a code saying that there was no response from the TCM.. The car has a manual transmission so there shouldnt be a TCM.. I decided to pull the ECU and i found out that the one that is in the car is actually made for an automatic instead of a manual. So i called VW dealer and got the right part number for the right ecu and ordered one online. When i received that one I plugged it in and tried to scan it with vagcom but i couldnt get a response from the controller so I called vagcom thinking that maybe there was an issue with the program (which i should have thought about prior because it worked just fine when the other computer was plugged in) and I went thru tech support and the guy asked me to turn the ignition switch to see if the check engine light came on when the switch was turned but it didnt so he told me I had purchased a bad ECU... I returned that one and ordered another one and now am having the same issue i have checked everything made sure it was plugged in properly and still no check engine light?!?! I need help!!! I have only had the car for 4 months and havent been able to use it for 2 because it wont pass emissions!! I dont want to sell the car but at this point I dont know what else to do! please help if you can!:(

·
Registered
322 Posts
I wonder if the car was an auto-manual swap at one point, which would explain why the ECU had that issue initially. What engine is in the car? I know on TDIs you can just recode the ECU for the manual transmission. I would be willing to bet you may still be able to use the original ECU.

Also, I think you need to do some sort of matching of the ECU when you install it, but not entirely sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts