VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 VW Jetta GL 2.0L manual 5 spd. I replaced the catalytic converter and o2 sensors appx 2 mos ago. since then, it would randomly not start/crank at times. it would take me about 5-6 tries before it would finally start, but it would idle really funny, either really low or idle higher than normal. The check engine light came back on about 2-3 weeks later so i took it back to the shop. they said it was some sort of pressure issue in the gas tank/gas cap area. after i got it back that time, the cruise control stopped working and the random not-cranking events became more frequent, but would always eventually start after about 5-6 tries. I had my oil changed last week and when they got done it did one of its random "i dont wanna crank" spells, but we finally got it to start. the guy hooked up the diagnostics to it (to see what was wrong with the cruise) and it said "ECT short to ground." (i forgot the exact code it threw) but the strange thing is that the check engine light wasn't on or anything. We went to start it again and of course it wouldn't start but this time it never did. we have tried and tried for days and it will NOT start. through some trial and error, we realized that the fuel pump was not getting any power (but the fuel pump was good). we thought that maybe the fuel pump relay was bad so i went and bought a new one from Auto Zone. when i picked it up i noticed that it was part # 1J0906383C where as mine is 1J0906383B and that the new one is missing a prong. I tired it anyway with no luck. Autozone thought that maybe they had just ordered the wrong thing (because when you look up the picture for this part, it shows all the prongs like the original).... the 2nd one came in and it was the same as the 1st, missing a prong. I ordered one again, but this time from Advance Auto. Same thing.... missing a prong. We tried it one more time just to make sure, and still nothing HOWEVER... we discovered that we could hot-wire the fuel pump to the battery with my OLD relay in and it would start and run just fine BUT if you put the new relay in (the one missing a prong) and hot wired the feul pump, it still wouldn't start. I called VW and they told me that they stopped making the relay like my old one and converted it to the one like i have been getting (with the missing prong). they said that regardless of the missing prong, it should still work (and it doesn't). so how come the hot wiring works with my old one and not the new one? WHAT SHOULD I DO?? Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it????? thank you so much!

·
Registered
60 Posts
you need to check power at the fuel pump w/ koeo, [key on engin off], if you have power for a short period of time when you turn the key [till system is primed] , witch it proly will then keep your test light, volt meter, or whatever on the power wire for the fuel pump and when you go to the start pos. see if the voltage stays, thar is a good chance that you r looseng sig to the fuel pump, and or ign. system in the start poss. check that and let us know

1 - 2 of 2 Posts