VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by introducing myself, My name is james and I am a car stereo installer by trade. I have been doing it for 10 years and sent cars to sema and ces, so if you have any stereo questions, feel free to shoot them my way.

But on with the story, I was driving my wife's 2000 2.slow jetta yesterday on the freeway, when the car stuttered and begin flashing the check engine lights. I started to slow to move to the right, when i hit the brakes, the car put out a huge puff of white smoke and promptly died. After getting the car towed home and staring at if for a bit, freinds and i came to the conclusion that the head gasket had probably blown. (as it had been replaced a year ago, and i had used a napa gasket).

So i read the obd2, 2 codes, misfire cylinder 3, and cylinder 4. not much info so I started to pull the intake maniflold and one of the first vacuum lines i pulled (a small one coming off the brake booster line) is full of oil. then when i removed the top half of the manifold and out comes, probably 4 oz. of motor oil. WTF?
I forgot to mention that before getting ready to remove the head/manifold I tried to rotate the engine to TDC, and motor jams, so im thinking that the maybe the timing belt slipped or something.......

anways, At this point i thought id stop and do some research before i went forward?????? Any suggestions or opinions?????????

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Remove all of the spark plugs and see if it can be turned over by hand. If so, then do a compression test.

If not.....Pull the upper timing cover and line up the timing marks to see if the belt jumped. One is on the cam sprocket, the other is in a small window on the top of the transmission

Look for the obvious...is the coil in good shape? Is it the original coil? They are known to crack at the base of the towers causing misfires and rough running.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
you my friend have a problem.... if i am right i think ur timing belt skipped a couple of teeth caz it is streched and in doing so you prob got a few valves bent and caused it to squirt oil into the intake. also when this "possibly" happened your head gasket gave way and u now have a cylinder to cylinder leak between cylinders 3-4 causing the white smoke.

the first thing you should do is make sure the timing belt is in the right position like 2001 said look in the window on the tranny and look on the cam gear if they do not line up than ur belt skipped a tooth.

now with that being said the first thing you should look for when u take the valve cover off is any irregularity's in the way the valve stems look cylinder to cylinder if it seems like one is tweaked or just out of place it is probably bent.

this should help u on the timing belt part

VWVortex.com - DIY: Timing Belt And Coolant Pump Replacement on 2.0 AEG! Pics Inside!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, turns out its the bottom end, I got the car up on jacks and drained the oil and, well..... It looks like i was panning for gold. TONS of little pieces of metal, and the oil smells like gas! as for the oil in the intake manafold, i had a friend who is a fleet mechanic out at edwards afb, come and take a look, he said it looks like the positive crankcase pressure caused oil to be pushed up the pcv valve and into the manifold. under closer inspection there are a what looks like filings all over in the intake runners as well.

Couldn't get the crank to rotate so i dont know if the timing marks line up. although this stop in rotation is SOLID, not like bent valves. (i bought the car a year ago, not running. It had slipped the timing belt and had bent valves on the previous owner, and they didnt have the money to get the car fixed) If i can get a good pic with my phone ill throw up some pics of the carnage in the morning.

Guess Im gonna start looking for a good used engine or a different car tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice guys

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
yeah sounds like it might of through out a rod or something along those lines.. did it have the proper amount of oil in it?
it sounds like it could of been caused by timing. if its a 2.0 you should be able to find an engine from a junkyard pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
dude u got it all wrong he forgot to check his muffler bearing, adjust his kenunten valve, and didnt top off his headlight fluid.

but on a lighter note. if u want to keep it a 2.0 the motors r pretty cheap online and in junkyards but if it was my car id upgrade to a 1.8t or a vr depends on ur cash situation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 1.8T was in loads of different vehicles, you should be able to find a full block,harness tranny at a wreckers for 2K. I have friends hunting them down all the time and it is an easy find.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
dont do a VR6 unless you got the $700 bucks for the new struts to hold the heavy guy. do a 1.8t though for sure and keep it :) haha

·
Registered
517 Posts
Don't go swapping in a different motor. Pick up a 2.0 and put that in. If you want a 1.8...sell your car and buy a Jetta with a 1.8 in it. It will be cheaper in the long run.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts