VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how to tell if its a wheel brg. and which one?
While driving the noise is heard when the road bends to the left then when you straighten out it goes away, and when the road bends right no noise.

·
Registered
353 Posts
What kind of noise is it? I ask because it could also be the cv joint. Jack up the car and grab the tire from the top and bottom and rock it back and forth any play that you can see or feel is a worn bearing. The cv is a little harder to check for but a good sign is cut boots.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
If while turning a single way you hear Click-click-click. it is the CV (prob have a torn boot and throwing grease in your fender whell as well.

If in a straight line it "growls". It is the wheel bearing.
I just had a bad wheel bearing that made no noise at all ecept a "clunk" on bumps and under HEAVY turning at speed. replaced and good as new now.

Jack up the car on each side. take off the wheel for visability. Grasp the rotor and shake it. up/down, left/right. Does it move move than a MM?

If so, Look at the tie rods and the bal joints and see if they have play? do they move while shaking the rotor? Look at the CV boot right behind the hub, does it move wtih teh rotor?

If anything else moves, it could be play in the ball joint/tierods. mine shook the whole rotor/hub/axle as it was destroyed.
Here is what mine did with a bad bearing:

http://s708.photobucket.com/albums/ww83/duffles27/?action=view&current=47575673.mp4 Email link

http://s708.photobucket.com/albums/ww83/duffles27/?action=view&current=47575673.mp4 Direct link

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, it's definetely heard when the road bends to the left then when you straighten out it goes away, and when the road bends right no noise.
I have checked each wheel brg. the best i know how and each front wheel rotates freely and no noise or grinding is heard by the wheel, but when i get under the car i hear it in the axel and close to the trans. I also cant find a dip stick for the manual trans. so not sure if it needs oil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts