VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I recently bought a 2004 mk4 gti 1.8t which im madly in love with, I want to add parts to it but I don't know where to start, looking forward to add new headlights, bumper, intercooler, intake, audio, rims, tires..etc anything that I could add to it to make it look nice and run great, any ideas on what I should add or do to it? and where should I start first?

gti back.jpg

gti.jpg

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Search Google images or here or vortex. Find a golf/gti you like and duplicate it. Or just buy parts you want and just put them on. There is no right or wrong. Its all personal opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Search Google images or here or vortex. Find a golf/gti you like and duplicate it. Or just buy parts you want and just put them on. There is no right or wrong. Its all personal opinion.
I been keeping an eye on this pic for a long time, I cant find those headlights and i been looking for a website that has good prices on the body kits and the rest of the parts
2004_volkswagen_gti_vr6-pic-63688.jpg

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
please no. start with reading this http://www.vwforum.com/forums/f15/mk-iv-1-8t-faq-information-read-before-posting-36154/ and look at pics of peoples vws on here and vortex. before you go buying cheap plastic chinese parts, read up on them. look for threads about them. learn what parts to avoid and what is ok. your opinion will probably change on what looks good and what parts you wanna buy. so before jumping into anything, research and read.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey cc,
I'm in the same boat, I got an 01 GTI, and its looks pretty plain...so i've done some research and put together a "want list" of sorts.

I have noticed that there are a few things that can make your stock GTI look dramatically different.

1. Tint - Start off tinting the windows..helps protect the interior from UV rays, keeps it cooler and looks good...it makes a big visual difference.

2. Bigger Rims/Tires - Changing them out will customize your look...Your current rims look pretty good but you may want to swap them out for 17 or 18 custom rims to add some uniqueness to your car.
Check Ebay - There are a lot of good deals on GTI rims there. Depending on the size of your current tires, you may be able to re-use them. Personally I would go with lower profile tires and taller rims...for max effect.

3. Body Kit - Lots of different kits out there but a lower body kit, with skirts a new front valance and rear valance will dramatically change a stock look to more of a performance or anniversary look. a couple places I have found that has nice looking ones:
- VW Golf GTi Body Kits
- 99-05 Volkswagen Golf Body Kits from Extreme Dimensions at Andy's Auto Sport
- EuroGEAR VW Mk4 Golf Roof Spoiler

4. Headlights - Our stock headlights (to me look a little girly) I would recommend using Ebay or Amazon and find some projector style lights that you may like better...again this will def change the look of your car.

5. Suspension - Lowering a car can add curb appeal and better handling performance...there are lots of places to get "coil overs" or lower springs...but figure out how low you want to go and that will help point you in the right direction to what suspension upgrades to get...i.e. Koni's are popular.

As for performance, Starting off I would personally get a Short Air Intake or just a K & N air filter upgrade, then get a ECM Flash with a stage one and see how you like the performance of that, next would be a larger downpipe, and upgrade the diverter valve...and maybe a new catback exhaust...

Those are just my personal preferences, let us know what you decide on. It's exciting either way to have a new project.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Hey cc,
I'm in the same boat, I got an 01 GTI, and its looks pretty plain...so i've done some research and put together a "want list" of sorts.

I have noticed that there are a few things that can make your stock GTI look dramatically different.

1. Tint - Start off tinting the windows..helps protect the interior from UV rays, keeps it cooler and looks good...it makes a big visual difference.

2. Bigger Rims/Tires - Changing them out will customize your look...Your current rims look pretty good but you may want to swap them out for 17 or 18 custom rims to add some uniqueness to your car.
Check Ebay - There are a lot of good deals on GTI rims there. Depending on the size of your current tires, you may be able to re-use them. Personally I would go with lower profile tires and taller rims...for max effect.

3. Body Kit - Lots of different kits out there but a lower body kit, with skirts a new front valance and rear valance will dramatically change a stock look to more of a performance or anniversary look. a couple places I have found that has nice looking ones:
- VW Golf GTi Body Kits
- 99-05 Volkswagen Golf Body Kits from Extreme Dimensions at Andy's Auto Sport
- EuroGEAR VW Mk4 Golf Roof Spoiler

4. Headlights - Our stock headlights (to me look a little girly) I would recommend using Ebay or Amazon and find some projector style lights that you may like better...again this will def change the look of your car.

5. Suspension - Lowering a car can add curb appeal and better handling performance...there are lots of places to get "coil overs" or lower springs...but figure out how low you want to go and that will help point you in the right direction to what suspension upgrades to get...i.e. Koni's are popular.

As for performance, Starting off I would personally get a Short Air Intake or just a K & N air filter upgrade, then get a ECM Flash with a stage one and see how you like the performance of that, next would be a larger downpipe, and upgrade the diverter valve...and maybe a new catback exhaust...

Those are just my personal preferences, let us know what you decide on. It's exciting either way to have a new project.

dont go bigger than 18s, any bigger than that and it usually wont look right.

try sticking with oem or if you have to oem replicas of body kits. the other kinds and even some oem reps usually dont fit and break very easily because of their material.

be careful with ebay headlights. there are a lot of options with headlights and ebay is not always the best route.

as for suspension, go with coilovers (or bags). lowering springs will destroy the stock struts. i have koni coilovers and theyre great.

performance- start with intake exhaust tune. READ THAT LINK I POSTED. it explains exactly what you should do. it is very helpful and will steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
68 Posts
take your time. Look on vwvortex.com for ideas and here as well.

VWVortex.com - The Official MK4 Stance Thread

use this as a starting point. I built my mk4 for all show and go now i am building another mk4 for more GOOOO and some show... Just take your time man and ask before you buy however that being said do what you like its your car and money:smile:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
if you want headlights with hid, message fukndubngti or rogertherabit, he makes retrofit projector headlights and they are some of the best headlights out there. i have a set on my black jetta, pics of them can be found in my build thread Ivdubdoyou? on here.

as far as first upgrades an intake and exhaust are usually a good place to start, coilovers if you want moar low, a reflash, and other misc bolt ons

·
Registered
828 Posts
Please don't put those doors on, there is a Mexican guy that drives a 99 Prelude with those doors around my neighborhood and it's beyond ugly.
ecstuning.com is good for parts.
Short Ram intake doesn't make a difference on a turbo car, you'd be better off with a K&N drop in filter w/swiss cheese airbox.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts