VW Forum banner

Idle Air Control Valve location

32K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Big Littles 
#1 ·
Can anyone please tell me where my IACV is located on the engine of my 1999 Cabrio, and how to clean it?

#3 ·
My cabrio has been stalling while im driving and in gear and the ilde has been jumping between 1000rpm and 200rpm. It has also recently been having trouble accelerating, and, and making a very labored sound. What do you think it could be.

P.S.
if i dont have an IACV then why can i find them for sale for my car?

#7 ·
maybe the fuel pump. when i replaced mine, the crankcase pressure regulating valve had also taken a shit, and oil was being sucked in through the throttle body and getting the intake manifold covered with shit on the inside. i soaked everything in diesel to clean it up and put some seafoam in the tank, and everything was straight. oh, i forgot to mention, the symptoms were similar to yours. my fuel pump was whining like hell before it went, so that part was a no brainer.

#10 · (Edited)
the fuel pump is accessible through the top of your gas tank in the trunk. if you remove the carpet, you should see a circular plate secured by a few screws. remove that plate, and you'll see the fuel lines attached to the fuel level sensor, which is secured by a plastic threaded ring. remove that ring, and the FSU can be removed. its attached to the fuel pump, which locks into place in the bottom of the tank. turn it to release it, and it'll pull out.

#12 ·
I have a 98 Jetta, and I'm showing codes P0510(Close Throttle Position Switch) and P0507 (IAC Revolutions)...[and P1582 (no definition) but I'll get to that one later].

For now I'm really trying to pinpoint and fix those first two. My car seems to not be able to set the correct air/fuel for idle...which I believe is why my car bucks when coming off and on the gas pedal at moderate speeds with the clutch steadily engaged. I understand that there should be a slight deceleration when I let of the gas but mine is exaggerated. I think my mileage is a little low too. I might not even hit 300 miles on this tank (my buddy had the same model a few years ago and was consistently hitting 400+ per tank).

I can't find any IACV under my hood. Do I also have the OBD2.."system"? If so I'm guess this code means something different...? Anybody have any insight on this?

What's the difference between OBD1 and OBD2?

And what's this Bentley manual everybody keeps mentioning? I have the VW owner's manual and a Haynes book....both crap really. They haven't helped me too much yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.