VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying a 2003 jetta. I am leaning toward the 1.8t model. I am aware that the Ignition coils for vw (especially 1.8t) short circuit, then loss of power due to misfiring cylinder, ultimately stopping the engine. I was wondering if the problem was fixed in 2003 and what are the chances that the car i purchase will have a coil problem. How severe is the coil problem and have any of you gone through some issues dealiing with it.
So what should i be particularly aware of when i go to purchase the vehicle?
Any advice will help -Thanks

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Welcome to VWforum!

i believe the problem was not fixed on the 2003 models and chances are that they will most likely fail.

the first time my coils failed they replaced only the ones that had failed and it spent about a month at the dealership(b/c the coils were on back order). the second time it happened they replaced all 4 coils and only spent a total of 4 days at the dealership.

the problem is not severe. basically when ur coils fail call the road side assistance and they will pick it up and bring it to the dealership.

also i think they recalled or are in the process of recalling all 1.8t's.

all in all the 1.8t engine is a great engine with an insane amount of torque at low rpm.

btw last nite i beat a 2003 eclipse gt trip with my stock gti. it was great he couldn't believe i beat him

[ May 24, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Here's what I know about the problem: I have a 2000 VR6 and I had my coil pack go, and I lost 2 cylinders. My engine still ran, but with a great loss of power and a really bad smell. VW paid to fix it because they have a service action for it, which means you can't just go in and get it reaplaced anytime, but if it breaks they will fix it, warranty or no warranty. But I do believe they are still a problem on the 2003's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
you guys are scaring me, i just bought a 03 1.8t can i just go to the dealership and told them i heard about this problem and see what they say or just wait?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I don'tthink it affected the 2003, and if they did, it would only be for the first half that made them. most likley they already changed yours before you picked it up. Wouldn't hurt to ask if it has the updated coils!
jon

·
Registered
777 Posts
i dont know if this helps anyone but yall got me kinda worried about the coil, heres a link LINK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts