VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is only the second time posting on this forum. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on a electrical problem I am having. let me start with some basics the car is a 1980 rabbit 1.6 fuel injection 4dr sedan. The problem I am having is I can turn the ignition on that part works fine, but when I turn it to crank the engine over nothing happens not even a clicking noise.I keep blowing fuses when I turn on the ignition. I checked to see if I was getting juice to the starter silonoid. I found that the maid (large) red wire in the middle of the silonoid was getting juice, the wire I belive that was coming from the ignition or from the fuse box was cold, no juice at all. so I took a jumper wire and connected it to that wire coming from the ignition or fuse box and crossed it over to the main (large) red wire on the center of the siloniod. the car then started. I guess you can say I hotwired it.could this problem be in the ignition, or could this problem be in the silonoid on the starter. and if it was a bad ignition would this be the reason I keep blowing fuses. just one other thing. I noticed the turn light signals won't signial now. I still have tail lights but they won't flash. Thanks for any info on this .Chris

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Sounds like you have some wiring issues, which most of those cars do have.

Some cars had 3 wires on the starter, 2 small, one big. If you switch the two small wires you'll blow fuses. Other than that I can't think of much else without seeing the car or the wiring.

·
Registered
364 Posts
either wiring or, the cable that goes to the starter, the big red one, there are two nuts on it, make sure that both are on, also there is another wire that just slides onto the solenoid like a butt connector, make sure that is on too

1 - 3 of 3 Posts