VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is your radio supposed to come on when you insert your key into the ignition switch, not turning the key, but just inserting it... this is my first VW so i wasnt sure if it was a jetta thing or a bad switch... any thoughts????

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nothing should turn on until you turn the key (though I took my factory radio out years ago so I don't exactly remember) My project Golf has a messed up ignition switch I'm replacing soon and one funny thing it does is my car makes that 2nd inversion major arpeggio (so do mi so do mi so do mi so do mi - aka the annoying vw jingle) when I open my door even when my dome light isn't on. Also, the spring mechanism inside the switch is messed up and it doesn't snap back properly. If I dont snap my key back slightly to the proper position and press my clutch it makes an awful grinding sound, but when I put the key in the proper position its fine.

Check to see if your car is doing anything else strange electrically. If you want to replace it its only 12 bucks at German Auto Parts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts