VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Fuel Filter, year old aftermarket plug wires, 6 month old Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, just cleaned my air filter, 3 bottles of fuel injector cleaner run through 3 tanks of gas, and my car still runs like S*!t

I don't know what else to do. I can pull out sometimes and take right off...other times it sounds like its going to stall out...

It is a 1994 Golf III 2.0 Liter automatic.

Anyone got a clue?

I'm ready to sell it and get something that I can afford parts for. Help me before I do something drastic!!!Like get a Honda

·
Registered
131 Posts
wow that is a loss. everything i would have thought of changing you did. U can try throttle bottle cleaner, that MIGHT help. but sounds like your problems is more serious....... Goodluck, and if you love a dub, you pay for a dub, give it some love a rub a dub dub.
Zak

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i forget where i read it but i heard that fuel additives and cleaners actuall can do more damage to your engine.... its possible (through spirited driving) to damage the valves or pistons... maybe that is something you should look in to.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know...
I've been having these problems before I started using the injector cleaner...so I don't think that would cause me any more problems...

Could it be too much transmission fluid? Could the timing belt not be lined up right?
Could it be the MAF sensor?

The weird thing is that it is only at takeoff...once I'm going, I have power

·
Registered
45 Posts
all those things is could be. Get them checked out. Are you burning oil by any chance?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been burning a very, very small amount of oil at start up...but oil level is ok...you thinking a dirty plug?

I don't have a check engine light like I would expect if a MAF was bad.

·
Registered
526 Posts
id try cahngin the oil and making sure u get a new oil filter and good oil in it...if that doesnt work tryeither oxygen sensor(s) or the maf like u said but that doesnt make sense cuz you have full power once yur going..that makes me wonder if it soemthing with your flywheel...if you know how it works it would make sense if u think about it...also check ur timnig and all that you pointed out...the problem with these problems is theres of them that have the same symptoms which sucks..good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just looked in the GOlf/Jetta repair manual and the #1 cause of stubling on acceleration is "Spark plugs worn, fouled, or incorrectly gapped" You said you had aftermarket ones. Maybe there is something wrong with one or it was incorrectly installed

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had put platinum +4 in there...they may have 10,000-15,000 on them...

I guess I could check them...I'm not really due for an oil change...I change it every 3000...

I know I installed the wires correctly...perhaps I should get a new set of factory wires.

I'll start with the plugs and work my way up.

I don't know when the O2 sensor was changed...if ever, so that could be it too.

Time to start down the list....thanks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
is there any way that moisture is making its way into the intake.... just a thought but i just had a problem with my 97 golf and it only happens when the weather is really wet. i had a crack in the dist. cap. i was also sucking moisture in through my CAI. (cold air intake).... just a thought.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think so. I just checked that over and didn't see any leaks anywhere...

It's hard telling...

I generally have bad luck...

I'm currently trying to build a house...and this is week 3 of waiting on the damn rain to stop so my perk test can be done and I can get the Septic Tank permit so I can get my building permit and start...and my wife is pregnant...and due in October...and we're living with my parents...

Kill me now

·
Registered
161 Posts
sorry to hear....but u pay for what u drive........ESPECIALLY a dub!

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
It sounds to me that your fuel pump or transfer pump is going bad.I would replace the transfer pump I have had this problem with a friends jetta.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Transfer pump...

That's a new suggestion that I've not messed with...I got a Bentley's so i'll check it out.

Thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's a novel approach. Take it to a qualified, recommended mechanic and have it professionally diagnosed. Then take his advice and replace (yourself) what he finds to be the problem. You'll save yourself a hell of a lot of money and time in the long run. Or, open your hood and start throwing more money at educated (and uneducated) guesses. Just my $.02 and a severe case of "been there, done that".

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My plug wires are by Taylor
They were manufactured to fit my car.
I really haven't messed with it lately. So hot and no AC has kept me away from messing.

I had just recently changed the distributor cam and rotor too. I guess I just need to quit trying to squeeze more power out of the 2.slow when I really don't have the money to repair what might happen.

VWs are expensive enough.

What would the VW place charge to diagnose my car?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts