VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I missed you guys
and congrats on the new car Fubar! AWD shenanigans!

Anyway, i've been busy messing with this thing

as well as this thing

but now it's time to focus on the mk4 again

yup, it's timing belt time. :barf:

So my question for you knowledgeable bunch is this: should I replace my accessory belt when I'm doing the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat?

Was looking at this kit - Volkswagen Golf IV 1.8T Engine Timing ES#2661299 ECS Tuning Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate - T306RB

looks great. But since i'm going brake pads and rotors at the same time, I wanted to see about using this kit- More Information for GATES TCKWP306MRB

and just adding on a thermostat. And anything else you recommend (thermostat housing, cam and crank shaft seals, engine mount bolts)

Also, I was thinking about doing the powerstop brake kit, drilled and slotted rotors front and rear and all pads for $237? More Information for POWER STOP K899

I was always planning on just doing cheapo solid rotors and ebc greenstuff pads, but this kit seems to be getting good reviews and it's cheaper.
thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
timing belt kit should be under 150$ shipped. kevlar belts are kind of pointless, the bearing in the water pump will go out long before the belt will.

Do a cheaper timing belt kit, pads and rotors. That brake kit is a pretty decent price.
The hardware on the pads seem okay but they might be a tad bit noisy.
Napa is always a great way to go for brakes but that kit is hard to beat on price.

·
4,054 Posts
No harm in refreshing belts. I would do the thermostat as well. They're known for either getting stuck open or closed plus you're in there anyways, why not replace it?

In my opinion if it takes a little more time to replace something that will last you 50K+. It's worth it :K:

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
You have a nice MK1 Coupe and a bike, who needs a MK4. Screw that car, focus on MK1 :D lol

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
timing belt kit should be under 150$ shipped. kevlar belts are kind of pointless, the bearing in the water pump will go out long before the belt will.

Do a cheaper timing belt kit, pads and rotors. That brake kit is a pretty decent price.
The hardware on the pads seem okay but they might be a tad bit noisy.
Napa is always a great way to go for brakes but that kit is hard to beat on price.
Good call on the belt. Some might recall, I had to deal with a timing belt failure like 3 weeks after buying this car. Turns out my 05 GTi w/ 45k miles was half 00 super beetle. That was lovely.

So now I'm thinking this kit - Volkswagen Golf IV 1.8T Engine Timing ES#2286 Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate - 06B198479 V2

But then again, might be able to save a few bucks with this kit - More Information for GATES TCKWP306M and just add on the rest.

More focused on those legs right now.
You have a nice MK1 Coupe and a bike, who needs a MK4. Screw that car, focus on MK1 :D lol
Thank you both. The mk1 is coming along; it's my daily right now. Bike is the backup/ weekend fun machine.

Oh, and those legs? That's why I need to keep this mk4 happy. She drives this full-time now haha. We finally sold her Jeep.

No harm in refreshing belts. I would do the thermostat as well. They're known for either getting stuck open or closed plus you're in there anyways, why not replace it?

In my opinion if it takes a little more time to replace something that will last you 50K+. It's worth it :K:
Couldn't agree more. Rather do this sort of thing when I want to and not when I need to.

So,
Kevlar belt is unnecessary. Thermostat is a definite.
Does the thermostat housing need to be replaced as well? Or should I say, is it wise to replace it now too?
Accessory belt? Crank/Cam seals?
Would it be better to just replace the stretch bolts from the engine mount with grade 8 from the local hardware store? I feel like that's what Fubar would do..
That should have been on the shirt poll.

WWFD. What Would Fubar Do

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
By a timing belt kit from intergrated engineering. Comes with a manual tensioner. That's the route I'm goog in about 20,000 miles when iI'm due for the second belt. I think people buy the Kevlar belt because its blue. Just get a gates or continental belt. Most good kits come with an Oem belt.
You can replace the bolts with grade 8 but its a hassle trying to find the correct size.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
haha the only reason im going to order a kevlar belt is because its blue.. and eventually for my big turbo setup..

any timing belt kit with a traditional belt would be just fine. (metal impeller water pump).
might as well do accessory belt too.. why not.. your right there and its easy (tensioner might or might not need replacing too).

that brake kit seems pretty legit for that price too

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm all about the manual tensioner vs the stock gas charged one, mainly because I like things to be simple, but is it worth the added cost?
I haven't heard anything bad about the OE tensioner personally.

and for the price of the integrated kit, I can get the ECS kit that comes with the accessory belt, crank/cam seals, thermostat and t-stat housing..

I'm gonna gamble a bit and say the accessory belt tensioner is ok to reuse.
If that starts to go out, not the end of the world right?

So I'm not sure if I want to go for the integrated engineering kit and just add on the thermostat, etc. Or get the ECS kit and just call it a night.

Going to definitely get that brake kit. I'll let you know how that works out.

Anyone care to cast their vote? I can't make decisions on my own.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
i reused my accessory belt tensioner twice now. no problems.
to this day.

sounds like the integrated kit gives you more bang for your buck..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i reused my accessory belt tensioner twice now. no problems.
to this day.

sounds like the integrated kit gives you more bang for your buck..
It's considerably more buck though. Plus I have to add on other components to really make it a full kit.

With brakes needing done, and christmas raping my wallet, I'm gonna cheap out and just go with the ECS kit.

Not like this is a racecar or anything, I just need something that's not going to break and ruin my valves.

Thanks for the help all!

I don't know anyone in the mk1 section here so I may ocassionally post mk1 content here. Sue me.

Also, i'll chime in a let you all know how the powerstop brake kit works out. I think psst recomended it in an oooooold thread, but I haven't seen any real reviews on it so i'll make one.

:chug:

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
If the tensioner does decide to crap out that could be the end of your timing belt and head, which is why the timing belt kits have the thing to start with. Yeah maybe it's just extra money to make you feel safe but timing on these motors isn't something to skimp on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts