VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal... I have an '85 Jetta GLi V8 CIS. Up until a few days ago the car ran fine, but needed to warm up a little.

I was driving along the freeway at 10 mph, thanks to rush hour traffic, and my car started to sputter and act like it would die. I quickly exited at the next exit and each time I left from a complete stop it took 300 to 500 feet to get the car going faster than 5 to 10 miles an hour. Needless to say my thermostat was frozen shut and my coolant hoses were seriously expanded. I went straight home (about 3 miles away), and parked it. Next day I switched out the thermostat, and got new coolant into the system. Now, she doesn't stay running. She starts, sputters a little then dies. It dies quicker if I put my foot down on the gas.
I then did the following:
1) Checked timing belt and it is still TDC- rotor pointing to cylinder 1 connector.

2) Checked all the vacuum hoses (and manifold boots) for leaks, and everything in the engine compartment is connected (don't know where the two go that go into the driverside firewall, but all the other are connected).

3) Added HEAT too make sure there isn't water in the fuel system (hell, considering all the water that leaks into the interior of the car, there isn't any water left in the world to be in it, but still...
)

4) Added 5 gallons of gas. and made sure the fuel pump is functioning.

5) Bosch Platinum’s are only 4 months old plus all new wires at that time... Checked 'em though...

Basically it acts like it's WAY out of time or has a gapping hole in the vacuum system, but this isn't the case. Could the fuel filter be plugged? I figure that it dies quicker when I apply the gas pedal, so that doesn't float. Is it an injector that is spraying wrong? And last but not least, is it sabotaged via something added to gas tank (sugar, water, ???- I have some real 'interesting' neighbors- so I get a little suspicious)... Car was running fine (it was sitting out in the parking lot for a day and half before I drove off), but this occurred after only 2 miles. DAMN, Why didn't I lock the gas cap!!! Anybody know of this kind of problem?

I forgot, this 'sputtering' is very labored ,and I swear I can here a loud 'thud' every so often... Maybe not 'loud' per se, but still a thud...

Please HELP!

Jetta Phreak

[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: JettaPhreak ]

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
WOW you did almost everything I would do. It could be the fuel filter or check your distributor. One time on my A2 the cap shook lose and the timing was off would stay running. I would pull the distributor cap and check your points to ensure that there is no dampness inside. You may want to spend the 50 bucks and replace the cap and points. Also check the coil then pull the plugs. Dry them out with a hair dryer or apply a little heat. The littlest' of mosture could be causing you the greif.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I changed out the Fuel filter, and now my battery is dead from previous attempts to start it... Gotta friend coming over now to see if it will start... The Fuel filter looked ok though.... x() Hope it works, cause I'm lost....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did that already...

It may be O2 sensor... But my first concern is finding out how to reset my Cam Sprocket... When I was verifing the timing last night, I turned the Cam Sprocket counter-clockwise... Now I can say, "don't EVER do that..."
I am going to post a new thread to find out how to reset it....

Thanks tho...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just changed a timing belt on my sons car. I had left the other belts off and the air intake tube. the car would start and stall, start and stall! I finished putting belts and air tube back on and the car would stay running. Not sure if this helps, your problem just sounded similar.|
Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx, deuce... But they r all on... I think it may be my in-tank fuel pump... Crossed fingers... I did get my Cam timing back though, which is GREAT!

JP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All this trouble... Over a stupid wire powering the fuel pressure regulator!!! It was running SUPER lean, now she ROX!

THX Guyz!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts