VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some of your opinions on which route to take on buying a car and mod work for it...

1) I can buy a used GTI Mark 4, either 1.8T or VR6, with fairly a lot of miles on it and i can rebuild the engine. Bore it out, put on a bigger turbo for the 1.8 or turbo the VR6 and all the other neccesary engine work
or
2) I can buy a new 1.8T or VR6 Mark 4 GTI and i can do some small mods to the engine and later on rebuild it.
or
3) I can buy an R32 save up my pennies and later on throw on the HPA twin turbo kit...that is after i gather up enough money

if any of you guys have any other ideas let me know...thanks

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The kit for the R32 is gonna run you near $30,000 or more with installation (someone correct me if im wrong). VW's tend to be real reliable, so buying a used Mk4 1.8T or VR6 prolly wont give you any problems. If your thinking about keeeping the car for a while though, go for a new one and make it exactly how you want it. Also think about whether you need/want a warranty.

·
Registered
335 Posts
i would choose #2, just because i myself bought a used GTi, and then had to undo some of the work that the previous owner had mucked up. it depends on the vehicle, and whether the miles are from the highway or the local "track"

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If you're going for a daily driver, go with a new Mk4 or R32. You can do a lot of mods for a reasonable price to get gains from a 1.8T. The VR6 and R32 are gonna cost more to get big hp gains from. I don't really see you needing to rebuild the engine unless you're putting a hell of a lot of race/track miles on it. The newer engines are good for well over 100,000 miles of daily driving.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Get the R32, ride in class and style, dont have to worry bout failures, and later on can do some small mods. Unless ur a mod freak get the R32, If you are all about modding then just get the 1.8t. Its a tuners dream.

and that's the way the cookie crumbles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts