VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some of your opinions on which route to take on buying a car and mod work for it...

1) I can buy a used GTI Mark 4, either 1.8T or VR6, with fairly a lot of miles on it and i can rebuild the engine. Bore it out, put on a bigger turbo for the 1.8 or turbo the VR6 and all the other neccesary engine work
or
2) I can buy a new 1.8T or VR6 Mark 4 GTI and i can do some small mods to the engine and later on rebuild it.
or
3) I can buy an R32 save up my pennies and later on throw on the HPA twin turbo kit...that is after i gather up enough money

if any of you guys have any other ideas let me know...thanks

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
You must be pretty well off. Far as I know, all the R32's are claimed
. Go for a medium mileage 1.8t, throw a stg III at it, or custom t3/to4 .50 and go from there. Deal with problems as they happen. 1.8t stock internals have been known to be fine above 400hp. Or, go with the VR6 and turbo it...

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I know there are like 3 R32's left around the DC area dealers. saw a post on Whoretex about one dealer getting a blue one in two weeks from now. I'd say find a R32 if not, then get a very low milage 1.8t and slap a custom turbo on there. IMHO
Oh, Welcome!!
jon

·
Registered
573 Posts
The lower the miles, the better. If not a low mileage 1.8T, go after the R32 and don't worry about any Turbo for quite some time. With that beautiful car, I don't think you'll be too concerned about it just yet

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Huh. I wouldn't think a 1.8T could get enough miles on it yet to need a rebuild. Im thinking not till 1500-200K miles minimum, but Im sure there are more experienced guys that could tell you otherwise. If by rebuild you mean to essentially race-prep the motor, you can get some that are pre-built and bored to 2.0 or 2.1 litres, and come with stand alone engine management.

As far as used versus new, if you go used, you will save about enough over a new one to drop in the APR Stage III and go flying about the countryside.

Im not overwhelmed by the R32. Yes its a great car, but for the price difference, I could make a pretty sweet 1.8t too I think.

Overall, I think all three options are pretty good, but I think the rebuild would be the least reliable and most costly one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i've made a decision...i'm gonna go with a new 1.8T and do a turbo upgrade

i have a couple more questions:

At how many miles do you guys think i should do the upgrade at... 10,000? or wait a little longer?

and now i need a little help deciding between 2 uprades:
1. the apr stage III upgrade
or
2. the eip stage 3 T3/T4 upgrade
...thanks

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
10,000k should be fine, not before that tho.

The APR kit is complete, supported, and used by ALOT of people. The EIP kit isnt nearly as common, there must be a reason for this...enough said. Mabye you want to wait for the Stg 3+ (385hp/345lb/tq) for around 5k...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
385hp and 345lb/tq sounds really nice

do you know when this is coming out and where did you hear about the stage 3+ kit?

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KRAZYP:
ok i've made a decision...i'm gonna go with a new 1.8T and do a turbo upgrade

i have a couple more questions:

At how many miles do you guys think i should do the upgrade at... 10,000? or wait a little longer?

and now i need a little help deciding between 2 uprades:
1. the apr stage III upgrade
or
2. the eip stage 3 T3/T4 upgrade
...thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

good decision, good luck with everything and keep us posted

·
Registered
34 Posts
i'd go with #2 or #3...the r32 is sweet and i've always been a sucker for reliability, and i think 2 and 3 are ur best bets if u want something to last, plus its the R32!! what vdub lover wouldnt want it if they had the chance!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts