VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to someone who works from his garage.

he believes I need to change the inner tie rods and boot on both the front side driver and passenger. I also need to change the brake pads on all wheels.

I did see the boot falling apart, and I do near some scratching noises while driving. and I do see the brake pads needs to be replaced.

my question is --- Can I buy the inner tie rods and boot from a salvage shop? does it matter if its used? or should i be cautious of what I buy?

brake pads, probably best is to buy them new. agree?

this guy who works in his garage..! well, once inner tie rods and boot and brakes are replaced. wouldn't this require wheel balancing? from his garage i dont think he would be able to do wheel balancing ... but I dont know. is this needed?

am an amateur when it comes to mechanical understanding but am a quick learner as I get to see these things!

would you recommend me taking it to a garage for a fix?

please advice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is the thread I meant to post.. the other one couldn't find the delete button! i thought this thread' title was more relevant :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Pssst. I'll then buy them new, I'm looking at online prices and I believe I should be able to buy them all in around 200 bucks. I'll also consider alignment when this is all done.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
If you are REALLY broke, you "can" pull the entire tie rod out, set it on a bench, and just build your new setup the EXACT same length on each side....it will keep you close to the same alignment if you HAVE to wait....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts