VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya Folks -

Has anyone had any trouble passing inspection in New Jersey??

I just took my 1998 Passat to Motor Vehicles for an inspection this past Friday.

Apparently they have a new system where they use an "OBD Connector" to measure exhaust information, rather than placing a sensor in the tailpipe. And my car Failed!!

The problem is that.. aftermarket radios affect this "OBD Sensor" and - in my case - I had to disconnect my radio (a JVC unit I had installed back in November).. and now I have to go BACK to Motor Vehicles and have my car re-inspected!!

And since Friday I had to drive around with a red "Rejected" sticker on my windshield!!

Anyways... I just wanted to give everyone the "heads-up" on this stuff and I was wondering if any of you have had similar experiences.

Thanks!!

- Matty

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I believe they use the obd port to check for any error codes in the car. Since the computer cannot connect to the aftermarket radio, you get a code for the radio, and a code for your can connection (only in 01+ I think). Any vehicle 96+ will not pass if you have a CEL, or trouble codes I believe.

However, this is retarded since the radio connection isn't vital to the cars performance in any way.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Currently, the Databus system of your car (allows communication between control systems) is looking for your radio, only to find its not there, and it will throw codes for it. Have the system recoded so it thinks no radio is present in the car, which will cease the CELs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
Currently, the Databus system of your car (allows communication between control systems) is looking for your radio, only to find its not there, and it will throw codes for it. Have the system recoded so it thinks no radio is present in the car, which will cease the CELs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh so that's why the people at vw said i shouldn't put an aftermarket deck in my car. so much for that though, you just gotta find a guy you know to do the inspection if it's possible. makes sure you don't have any serious issues and then he passes the other little things. and if you get caught then you say you did it after so he doesn't take any heat. if they have to keep records, that could be another issue.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dubsessed:

oh so that's why the people at vw said i shouldn't put an aftermarket deck in my car. so much for that though, you just gotta find a guy you know to do the inspection if it's possible. makes sure you don't have any serious issues and then he passes the other little things. and if you get caught then you say you did it after so he doesn't take any heat. if they have to keep records, that could be another issue.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Usually, the dealers don't like aftermarket radios due to the k-wire. It is the wire that is used to transmit info to the vag tool. A lot of aftermarket harnesses would hook this up to a 12volt which can damage a vag tool.

·
Registered
210 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gti20thAEinDE:

Usually, the dealers don't like aftermarket radios due to the k-wire. It is the wire that is used to transmit info to the vag tool. A lot of aftermarket harnesses would hook this up to a 12volt which can damage a vag tool.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

is this a wire that is always hot? (live, juiced, electrified, (not to be a dick, just in case you didn't know what hot meant))

[ March 08, 2004: Message edited by: Dubsessed ]

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dubsessed:
is this a wire that is always hot? (live, juiced, electrified, (not to be a dick, just in case you didn't know what hot meant))

[ March 08, 2004: Message edited by: Dubsessed ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the factory system, it is only active (has current passing through it) when the vag tool is communicating with the radio. Some aftermarket wiring harnesses make it a constant 12volt i.e. always hot.

·
Registered
267 Posts
that's good to know, dubsessed had his deck installed at circuit city and they must have hooked the amp up to that wire, because it completely drained his battery and he had to jump the car... CIRCUIT CITY IS EVIL!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gti20thAEinDE:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats a vag tool?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...

I talked to a few people and a local mechanic knew of this problem right away. He suggested I do the following:

Disconnect the radio (he ran a check on the system for any codes, and now everything comes up clean)... drive around 'till Saturday with no radio... have the car inspected... pass (hopefully!)... and re-connect the radio afterwards.

It's a ridiculous system that New Jersey uses now and I'm kinda pissed that I have to go through all this for a simple inspection. But what can ya' do? All I care about at this point is getting that "REJECTED" sticker off my windshield!!

- Matty

·
Registered
735 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VWSportCompact96:
Whats a vag tool?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's an interface between a computer and your car. Mine's called OBD Tool or something and it interfaces with Vag-Com software.

I'm sure Carson probably has all the correct terminology for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts