VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new starter on my 97 jetta. once i was done with that i hooked up the battery cables made sure everything was good crank the car...Car started and was running then suddenly the car died. I ask a some one that i knew they knew a little about jetta's and they told me that it has too do with the alarm. If anybody knows how to fix this or bypass it feel free to answer the question.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Start checking fuses. All of them.
Re-check all connections at the starter but don't over-torque or you may snap off a terminal. Do the wires at the starter looked corroded?
Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the fuses are good and the starter is brand new....Car will try to turnover but some thing isn't letting it. Somebody told me that its has too do with the alarm which kills the car and won't let it start up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the alarm if the engine is "trying" to turn over. The ignition interrupt from the alarm will stop anything from happening when the key is turned to start, there will be no "try".
Swap in a different battery if you have one available, coincidences do happen. Or try jumping.
And "new" starters have been known to come out of the box bad but that wouldn't make the car stall.
I would disconnect and reconnect all wires on the starter if your battery checks out.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I have a feeling it could be something to do with ignition switch. Check the wire that goes from the ignition switch to the starter. And like everybody said make sure your connection is clean and on there tight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts