VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I've been having a problem with my '03 Jetta station wagon (2L, auto). This past year has been problem after problem with it, can't say I'm surprised given its mileage.

Current issue: vehicle shakes, the RPMs dip below 1K as if the engine is about to give out and it kinda bounces between 500-1K RPMS while idling. At first, I replaced the transmission fluid (the engine light would blink on and off, I consulted the manual and picked at possible issues from there) then I replaced the catalytic converter (that got rid of another problem, the car would have moments when it would suddenly lose speed, and then jump right back up to where it was - this was not fun when it would dip from 100 to 60 on the highway and then blast back up) that issue has ceased thus far. But the shaking still continued, in fact, today it started early morning and has remained every time I started the car up. It never has done it this long before, it would usually go away after a short while.

I did some checking online and found it could be the intake air control (amongst other things once again...). I know I have never gone in to check, replace, or clean it and am willing to give it a go. Has anyone had any experience taking this part out and cleaning it? I have found a video on youtube (
) it is a different vehicle but I can't imagine there is that much of a difference. Any advice and help is appreciated.

(I know I posted this in the intro page but this an awesome site, kudos to the owners :K: I'm hoping that if I can save my Jetta from completely going on me I want to tune it up and will definitely hang out here for more info and advice.)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
cleaning the throttle body could help, it helped steady my cars idle. if its filthy as hell, maybe it could cause extremely bad idling problems that could make the car start to stall as it shakes.

the best thing you could do would be to get your car scanned. then when you know the codes, you could post them up here and we could find them out. Knowing the codes would eliminate a lot of the guessing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts