VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. I have a 98 golf I put a cone intake filter on. It did great for about 6 months or so. Then one day the check engine light came on and would not run good at all. It would run as long as you didn,t try to give it full throttle then it would almost die out. I took it to a shop they said it was the MAF sensor I found a used one didn't help. I didn't think it was the filter I put the factory airbox on solved the whole problem. Its must have been the vacum lines on the airbox. What are you supposed to do with them? Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Depending on where you drive your car, how much, the time of year, etc. , the cone filter can become very dirty very fast. My guess is that the cone filter wasnt a K&N (maybe it was) and it just built up dirt and shit quickly. That would explain when you put your stock air box back on it solved the problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
you will lose horsepower by just putting a cone filter on. over time it will screw up your engine because the heat it gets in the engine is too hot and will cause ur engine to missfire and make your check engine light come on. you HAVE to have a good heatshield with every cone filter. I was told this by a very trusted vw mechanic. hope it helps, heat shields are easy and take about an hour at the most.

Zak

·
Registered
141 Posts
yeah, my car had the same problem till i replaced the vacuum lines, now it really boots, like it feels like a new car it's soo much better than it used to be

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
you could always just plumb the vaccum lines into the intake system by making 2 little bungs with plastic grommets. making it look and act like it was factory. but the heatshield is a must.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Check all of your wire connections and hoses first.Also make sure your air cleaner is clean,you may have to have the warning light reprogramed too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts