VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what all is involved in installing an intake in the jetta? i meen ive done tons before on other cars, but whats the best method? take the bumper off? wheel off? can you leave both on? i read a post here about removing plastic from the bottom of the headlight is this true? and what tools did you use, i mean i have tons but i can go buy somthing alse if it will make it easier or look better!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I've installed CAI's both by removing the bumper and by removing the wheel liner.

Taking the bumper off is by far the easiest way to do it.

All you will need for the job is a torx 25, I believe, screwdrivers and a second set of hands is very useful. You will not have to remove anything from the bottom of the headlight; just the plastic cover on top. Removing the battery is also very helpful.

The reason removing the bumper is the easiest is that you will be have tons more wiggle room to align the filter properly.

[ January 05, 2004: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a evo CAI for my 24V VR6. When i installed it i did not remove the bumper or the wheel well plastic. I did remove the battery and the backing of the headlight. The only problem i ran into was finding where to put the included smog filter. I gave them a call and they said the 24V doesn't use the smog filter. Otherwise the installation was pretty painless following their directions.

[ January 06, 2004: Message edited by: sleepyhead ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I didnt remove my front bumper when I did my install. I wish I had. It would have taken a lot less time to do the install. I just removed the wheel well plastic part and the battery. The more room the better. good luck on the install.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just put my intake in like a week ago. I took the tire off and the plastic wheel well under the tire. Had to move the battery a little bit and also take off some plastic behind the headlight but it was pretty easy...i think taking off the bumper would be too hard.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sleepyhead:
I have a evo CAI for my 24V VR6. When i installed it i did not remove the bumper or the wheel well plastic. I did remove the battery and the backing of the headlight. The only problem i ran into was finding where to put the included smog filter. I gave them a call and they said the 24V doesn't use the smog filter. Otherwise the installation was pretty painless following their directions.

[ January 06, 2004: Message edited by: sleepyhead ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marcus,
Ryan is absolutely right. I failed to remember that you have a VR6. HUGE OOPS!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@#$%# @#[email protected]#$ #@[email protected]#%#$^%$ okay....so we have a 3 car garage and its full of junk from moving... so i was like sure ill just install this in the driveway....... it starts freekin raining.... ive gotta get the bumper off too... im pissed! the instructions are really good though, just a bunch of stuff is a royal pain like getting the end off the damn breather hose! but im really excited tho!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Midnight VR6:
@#$%# @#[email protected]#$ #@[email protected]#%#$^%$ okay....so we have a 3 car garage and its full of junk from moving... so i was like sure ill just install this in the driveway....... it starts freekin raining.... ive gotta get the bumper off too... im pissed! the instructions are really good though, just a bunch of stuff is a royal pain like getting the end off the damn breather hose! but im really excited tho!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry Marcus, It will be ALL worth it once you hear the diverter valve hissing. Oh wait, VR6, thats right.
Sounds like life sucks. At least its not 19 degrees(if not colder) out like here in the NorthEast.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
um, i have to cut like an inch off to get it to fit right... can you cut c/f with a chop saw with a metal blade? i read somewhere its like 3x stronger than steel, i think it will chop right through it, but i dont want to like shatter the whole thing....

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thx for the help guys....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts