VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,this is the deal.i'm about to get my hands on a 50mm intake mainfold.i have the 42mm(1986).the question is,would i feel the diference in the car performance!?!?and another thing.the thing were the acc cable grabs on,that has 2round things that open.is that diferent!?the one that comes in the mainfold is wrecked...need a advice!thanx a lot dubers!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
i've heard that the 50mm intake mani takes away from the low end. But since i don't have experience with them I'm not 100% sure. good luck with it though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
From what I know of the 50mm...there are two. One for the scirocco and one for the golf. Someone told me - a Golf inlet as the throttle body mounts to it on the left hand side. The Scirocco one looks the same, but the throttle body mounts on the right. Maybe that is why they seem different?

As for performance - again I was told - you really won't feel that great of a difference, but if you got one at a great price, slap it on!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
The 50mm will help your engine out in the high RPMs at the cost of a little low end torque. The 50mm really starts to shine when you upgrade your cams.

I'm guessing the other part your talking about would be the throttle body, which is the same part on the 42 and the 50.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok,so its the throtle body,and its the same.on doubt resolved.the mainfold is gonna be free for me,but i have to give my 42mm back.the question here is,is it a good mod to do!?beacuse,cam are not an option for now...if i'm gonna loose low end torque!?and low end torque is in low RPM's!?should i,ou not,do the mod!?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Here is an interesting post on the issue. Basically states that uprating the runner size of your manifold is great, but you will still have restrictions with your plenem, your 42mm 2.0l manifold has a larger plenem for teh displacement. If you take the 50mm runners, and mate them to the 42mm plenem, you've got a pretty decent flowing set-up. Just a thought!

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
It takes balls to cut up a 50mm. That guy is looking for every last little bit. I'm actually trying to get in on his valves and springs.

In reply to Hidro's question... even on a stock 16v the 50mm is almost always worth it, and it will become more worth it as you pile more mods onto your motor. If you're getting it for free in a trade for your 42... DO IT. If you can find another one for that price... tell me. I have like four 42mm intakes in my garage, and no 50mms.

P.S.: It's been super cool watching your English improve from your first posts. You learn a little more with every post... hooray for VW Forum.

[ November 01, 2003: Message edited by: Fourt1thirty ]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heheheeh thx!
thx a lot all you guys!!
a thing,my engine is a 1.8l not a 2.0l,and in a K-Jet system!but,what can i loose with this mod!?anything noticeable!?and whats a plenem!?the top of the mainfold!?were the "dohc-16v" is!?
but if its a DO mod,then i'm going for it.i was thinking about polishing it on the inside.what you think!?
and thx a mil for the replys

oh,and what mods (cheap,maybe free) can i do to my car,no notice some difrence!?

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: HidRo ]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i already have a RAMAIR box filter and a moded box.anything else!?and about the DO or NOT TO DO the intake mod!?

AND ANOTHER VERY IMPORTANT THING!!!!!
the intake mainfold 42mm has a entrance in the head with what size!?do i have to port the head to 50mm!?!?!?help on this one!

[ November 04, 2003: Message edited by: HidRo ]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heheehehe then i will do it!
about the other mods i can do!?
the filter and box are taken care off,and about the plugs.what should i use!?
bosch super 4?
NGK?
Beru?
Beru SilverStone?
other mods!?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! If you don't like it I'll ship you another 42mm and you can send me the 50mm.

It will bolt right to your head without flowing.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok.i have the intake.now,should i polish it in the inside!?or should i crome it!?
another thing.in the mainfold,it has a tube were the breather tube connects.this is for what!?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all,

Hey Hidro... please do that... I can't wait to see my old engine intake manifold working and making your car going even faster... it is true guys, his car is realy fast... but I think mine is faster now...
with the new engine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts