VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
Can't see it
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah whats gives? stupid car domain

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
How about you just post some pictures so we can see?

·
Registered
161 Posts
how do i put pictures up on this site to show u guys???? yea....idk why the freakin link for cardomain doesnt work. oh well. peace.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Looks really good. Are you gonna polish anything else under the hood?. Was that by hand or did you use a dremel or somthing. Bet your fingers hurt if that was by hand.

·
Registered
324 Posts
yeah i was thinkin of doing something like that to my engine cuz i dont think the blue and grey look very good, so lemme know the steps involved and what type of arthritis meds to buy in advance
. It's either that or paint the grey black. personally I think polished would look way better.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
very nice. I would like to do this.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 89jettawolfs:
Looks really good. Are you gonna polish anything else under the hood?. Was that by hand or did you use a dremel or somthing. Bet your fingers hurt if that was by hand.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how to polish your intake manifold

[ June 01, 2003: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
161 Posts
yeah i did most of it by hand.i started at 9:30 a.m. and finished aroound 4:30-5 p.m. I started off using a sanding machine with 60 grit sand paper.After that i went at it with 60grit for about an hour and a half, then from there i just climbed the sandpaper grit numbers until i got to 600.After 600grit i started wet sanding by dabbing my finger in motor oil then spreading it out on sandpaper. Then i sanded it with the oiled down sandpaper. I repeated the wet sanding all the way up until i got to 2000grit. After the sanding was done i used Mothers Metal Polisher (?) and put 3 coats of that on.My suggestion is to use the 60 grit alot/as much as you can because in my opinion it turns out a ton shiner and u get a better polished look.thanks for appreciating the work.peace.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i furgot one thing......make sure u sand up and down the manifold and not left to right.itll really mess it up and make it look bad. so make sure u sand up and down the manifold and not side to side. thats the golden rule.peace.

·
Registered
131 Posts
ya, its a bitch to do. i didnt sand with 60 grit as much as jacob did, and it didnt come out as shiny. YES OUR FINGERS HURT. BUT MORE OUR BACKS!!! (still hurts, it was like 2 wks ago)

Zak

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
ok...I have a mk4 vr6 12V. I tried to polish my intake manifold (a little spot under the engine cover), and it seems like it is painted silver/gray. when I sanded it, it turned black. whats the deal? can that be polished or what? has anyone seen this done on an mk4 vr6?? please any info would help.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
hey brian, did you clean that area off real good? it might be that's all of the dirt and grim that you are sanding off.
jon

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
yeah I cleaned it. Its def painted silver. the black wasnt dirt. I was talking to dave about polishing it, and I said it feels like plastic (if you knock on it). he said it was aluminum...anyone with a vr6 check it out please. I want to polish it, but if its plasic, ahh it wouldnt work...thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts