VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I just found this site and it looked like it would be helpful. I have a 98 vw cabrio and have had it for alittle over a year now and am very pleased. I have done some modifications to it since I've purchased it such as Techtonics Tuning exuast, Wietech full suspension, 17" Motegi MR7's, and Rapid Parts "Blue Igniter" wires.

One of my most recent mods was ordering an Injen intake. Injen know makes the "E" series designed for european cars and their Intakes are built for each specific car.

They have 2 for the 2.0 8v, which is what my cabrio has, one being for OBD 1 and the other for OBD 2, my car being OBD 2.

So I ordered it and my question is simply this, my stock air box has alot of vaccum lines and what not on it and I was wondering what the intake is going to do to them and if it will mess with my cars computer or kick on my check engine light. The intake is designed for OBD 2 equiped cars but I was just not sure and wanted to see if anyone had some input on it. I've seen many other vw's with various intakes such as AEM and couldn't imagine them making an intake designed for a specific car yet it not be able to adapt to various things such as stock vaccum lines and air flow sensors.

Any response or previous knowledge on the subject would be grealtly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
'98 cabrio

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Those vacuum hoses just need to be sealed with tape or something. You dont need them when you put on your aftermarket intake. The only way your check engine light will come on is if you touch the O2 sensor or dont have it plugged in right. The injen intake will have an inlet for the sensor connector to go into, so your all set with that.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I know that with the Neuspeed P-flo, which I have, it comes with an extra small air filter for the other hose going to the aribox, maybe yours will too?

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
A little breather filter came with my CAI (carbonio), and it hooks right onto the breather hose. as for the snorkel(where the airbox is connected-like an air duct)-to get some air from the vent in your front bumper...I had to take mine off to get my CAI down into the front fender. Hope this information helps.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
There should be instructions with the new intake.They will tell where to put the hoses.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i dotn have a cai yet but whatn i was looking to buy one, they all come with a filter if needed or it tells you when your about to order. but mostlikely it will just plug into the actual cai like k2jetta98's did.

·
Registered
433 Posts
the only way that you will need a breather filter is if you have a air pump that is in front of your intake manifold you will know if you have this, other than that it will just come with plugs and you put them where they need to go.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
some cai's dont have a bypass valve on them. like my carbonio cai. its a solid carbon fiber tube. so I hooked the breather filter to the tube, and zip tied it out of the way of the shift linkage-found that out the hard way. the morning after I installed my cai, I only could use gears 1, 3 and 5. the hose was in the way of the shift linkage, so a zip tie made a quick fix.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
nice inovative idea brian, zip ties always do the trick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts