VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have looked at lots of similar threads, but I thought I would see if anyone had a similar problem, and solution
Our 2000 Golf 2.0L often runs just great. (It has over 200K miles)Then with no real apparent reason (such as rain or cold) it will loose gobs of power, idle barely without stalling and you can smell strong un-burnt gas.
I have a cheap engine code reader, typically reads P0300 and ever changing P0301 - P304, random misses.
Just a year and 1/2 ago I did a valve job, replaced the coil, plugs and wires.
I just earlier today changed the temperature sensor (only $12 so seemed worth the chance)

When I started the car today it ran fine. I disconnected the MAF sensor to see if any change, none.
I hooked up the code reader to clear the codes. When re-starting, the engine had the misses/lack of power.

Some times the missing will be occurring while driving, then it cures itself and runs right, a surge of power while driving!

Any thoughts?

I am about to have to relent and take it to a shop, maybe the have better testing devices (or a better knowledge bank)

Thanks for any help

Pete

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
have you changed spark plugs, and are they properly gapped? coilpacks new or old? check for vaccum leak?

sometimes the generic code readers dont pick up all of the codes. i suggest going to autozone or advanced auto, having them scan it for free, write down the numbers, then repost on here. or buy a 15 dollar vagcom cable and download vcds light off of rosstech. that will also give you an accurate scan.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
No change with the maf unplugged means the maf has likely crapped out. Get some MAF cleaner. MAF, nothing else, these sensors are sensitive(ha pun) and you don't want to use the wrong cleaner on them.

Clean it! look in the DIY section for how to clean your maf. Follow it, bam that should help. If not you may need a new maf.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
if it does end up being the MAF, be sure to get an OEM one. not generic, not refurbished.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your thoughts
I thought the MAF as well.
Weird thing that I don't understand is that when the car is running well, I can pull the connection from the MAF and it still runs well!
When the car is running poorly, if I pull the MAF it still runs poorly.

If running well, shouldn't disconnecting the MAF make a difference? Making it run poorly?

Good suggestion on Auto Zone. I assumed (incorrectly) that there scan tools would be as limited as mine. There is an Advance Auto just up the street.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
There is an Advance Auto just up the street.
getting it scanned is the best place to start, before you start throwing money at the car. while your there, pick up some MAF cleaner and follow the DIY on this site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts