VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedometer and RPM will shut down and indicate 0. Sometime it will happen while driving and come back to life later, or it will not come back at all. Sometimes it will come back after shut down and sometime not. When it goes blank- even the milege goes blank!

Don't know if they're related....A few months back the clocked started to reset to incorrect times after shut downs. No matter how many time I set the time, after shut down and restart the clock will show a different time.

Is there a fuse or relay or something for the instrument gauges?...or is my instrument panel going bad?

Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just replaced mine with a different cluster. Found it works. I am also going to be following that thread to fix my cluster. I am on "free time" (miles) with the other odo until then though :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll checked the back of the cluster and everything seems to be OK.??

Today when it happened again...I noticed that the Temp guage and fuel qty indicator both worked....so its not the entire cluster. Only the speedometer and rpm.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
multipin connections on the back of the cluster likely.

clean them with a brush and ispropyl alcohol.

if not, cold solder joints in the cluster.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The entire instrument cluster is inop now, with the exception of fuel quatity indicator. Haven't had a chance to work on it. However, now I got a new problem....the engine runs rough...then...stalls/or goes back to normal. While in the rough running mode...I get a check engine light. When it goes back to normal the engine light disappears. I tried to read the code, but it says communication error. Could the inop instrument cluster block the communication or is it somehting else?

Any ideas...?
as always thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Sounds like you have a intermittent sensor problem, when its running fine the ECU reads that the values that sensor is sending is fine. But when its running rough the ECU reads a value not within its spec and sets the code.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this the first time you have tried to scan it? If so do you have an aftermarket radio?
Yes-this is the 1st time I have gotten a check engine light and the 1st time I've tried to scan it.
Yes- I have an after market radio....which ironically went dead shortly after the instrument cluster.

maybe they're all related??
thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so I finally got around tackling my dead instrument cluster.

Checked and cleaned all the wirings. However, this did not fix the problem. Got a used instrument cluster from the junk yard and put it on. Bingo! It’s all working now. So if you have any of the symptoms that I had...it’s a bad cluster.

Apparently, there is no cable in the rear of the cluster. It’s all electronic. In the past when I changed the instr. cluster on my MK1 and MK2, they had cables, but not this.

One question remains.....where is the mileage stored? I had 265K when all this happened, and now the odometer reads 285K, I drive a lot, but I don't think it's been 20K in the last few months.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Have your old cluster rebuilt. There is a few places that do this. When they rebuild it, you get your original miles back upon installation. Until then you are on "free mileage".

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have this problem too. when I go over a lot of bumps in the road my RPM/Speed/Temp/Fuel guages will go dead. Then come back on when they like.

My solution lately has been to hit the top of the dash and they flick back on(which definitly leads me to believe it is a connection issue). the only guage I would really like to work all the time is temp. For now Im just going to live with it and not drive over any bumps until I have time to rebuild my 2.slo next summer.

Glad to read I am not the only one and that its not a short somewhere deep within the dark orifice of the wiring harness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having this same issue in my MK3 GTI (2.0). Sometimes the speedometer cuts out and will come back on if I whack the dash. Also the airbag light comes on and off and when I whack the dash or go over a bump. My tach doesn't seem to be affected by this and always works Ok. Anyone know where the exact problem may be within the instrument cluster? :confused:

Also, my coolant temp light has been flashing for quite a while (Usually comes on within 1 minute of starting up the car) but the water temp guage is fine and the car is not actually over heating.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having this same issue in my MK3 GTI (2.0). Sometimes the speedometer cuts out and will come back on if I whack the dash. Also the airbag light comes on and off and when I whack the dash or go over a bump. My tach doesn't seem to be affected by this and always works Ok. Anyone know where the exact problem may be within the instrument cluster? :confused:

Also, my coolant temp light has been flashing for quite a while (Usually comes on within 1 minute of starting up the car) but the water temp guage is fine and the car is not actually over heating.

Thanks for any info!
Did anyone ever find an answer to this?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have been having similar problems with mine. I checked a repair reference, alldata, and it says if the cluster is behaving sporadically it could be that the grounds to it are dirty. I haven't had time to get to it because I have been working all day + overtime. Should have time this weekend. Let you guys know if it's the solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I did some digging and wanted to share my findings and success. For me it was that there are 2 grounds that go into the cluster. One for lights and the other for the gauges. The tach and speed gauges use the ground the come from the engine block. It is very prone to rusting.

Look in the front of the engine where the coolant temp sensor is on the head and find a brown w/ white stripe wire. I ran a NEW ground to that wire and the neg batt terminal and all cluster problems solved! Hope this helps this someones day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The speedometer and RPM will shut down and indicate 0. Sometime it will happen while driving and come back to life later, or it Nox Vidmate VLC will not come back at all. Sometimes it will come back after shut down and sometime not. When it goes blank- even the milege goes blank!

Don't know if they're related....A few months back the clocked started to reset to incorrect times after shut downs. No matter how many time I set the time, after shut down and restart the clock will show a different time.

Is there a fuse or relay or something for the instrument gauges?...or is my instrument panel going bad?

Thanks
When they rebuild it, you get your original miles back upon installation. Until then you are on "free mileage".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ..I have an issue with my cluster....only the fuel gauge works...rev counter and speedo vibrates when vehicle is turned on...lights only work occationally but most times dont work at all...replaced the cluster twice but then rev counter works but not fuel gauge or speedo and lights work...any suggestions on what to look for???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts